Tuesday, October 10, 2006

157,480,314,960.62994

Microinches, that is. Not my weight. That was the distance I ran yesterday. It was such a beautiful day that when I went to the gym all I did was get changed and then I went out to the track. I've never run there before and all I knew was that it was a 400 meter track. I did four laps running, one walking, then four and one again. When I got back to the office, I checked one of the conversion tables and found out that 4000 meters is almost exactly 2.5 miles, but is also 157+ billion microinches. Does anyone have any idea what a microinch is? The other thing I learned from that run is that 5 to 5.5. m.p.h. on a treadmill feels like a nice steady pace. On a track it feels like I'm moving in slow motion, so instead of 11 to 12 minute miles, I was doing four laps in about ten minutes, which sounds great except that it was KILLING me (thus the walking laps). I'm always amazed at how much more difficult it is to run outside rather than inside. This wasn't even hilly (obviously) but things like wind resistance, the faster speed, and mostly that there wasn't a treadmill doing half the work make it so much harder! Clearly I need to run on the track more often. Oh, and that beautiful day wasn't nearly so beautiful after about two minutes of running with the sun beating down on me and me dressed in long pants and a cotton shirt!

My weight, frustratingly, was 134.2 this morning. .2 pounds down from last week. After all that exercise, all I lost was .2 pounds. Even worse, after being in the 131 to 133 range every single day all week except yesterday, my weigh-in day weight was pretty much no change. Ugh. See, maybe I should have gone with one of my higher weights last week so I could claim a loss this week! Oh, the other weird thing is that last Tuesday was the only day I got wildly different weights during the same weighing session. Ever since then, what I weight is what I weight with no fluctuation. Today I even weighed the same before and after my shower.

No comments: