Saturday, October 14, 2006

Brrrrrr!

We went to the 5k this morning. It was freezing when we first went out -- Alexander couldn't finish the 1-mile because he got too cold, and Cecilia cried as I carried her around while we watched the big kids. It wasn't a whole lot warmer for the 5k but it ended up feeling pretty good for the race. I ran too fast for the first mile (9:15) but I sort of expected that, and then I paced myself to a 10-minute mile for the rest of the race and I finished in 29:54. Even though I was faster earlier in the year I was pleased to be under 30. Daniel came in at 28:37 and was disappointed -- he'd hoped to be under 28:30. But it's still an improvement for him over last year.

The T-shirt they gave me was a kids' medium instead of an adult medium. I've gotten smaller but not THAT small!

Mom did the mile walk with the kids, and Dad went out with her. Then he did the 5k as well! He walked it and ended up taking 52 minutes, when he'd hoped for 45, but I was impressed that he did it at all. Yesterday he and Mom went out on a 4.5 mile walk, so he's been getting more exercise than any of us. I only walked as far as Kroger yesterday -- 1/2 mile total.

This morning I've had a half bagel and cream cheese (full fat) and a half a banana and a couple of ounces of Gatorade with what looked like bits of leaves in it. I really wanted water but I would have felt rude refusing it! Yesterday we had roast chicken and apple-walnut-herb stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans and salad with caesar dressing and a glass of wine for dinner. But I ate small portions of everything and didn't feel like I was going to explode. Only then we went out to Coldstone (had to use my birthday coupon and Mom's, too) and I ate a Love It size almost all gone so then I felt like I was going to explode. And tonight we're having veal scaloppine and wine and pecan pie for dinner, which is going to make me explode again. At least I've hardly been snacking this week -- I have really been too busy.

Now I have a baseline number to try to beat on future 5k's. So next year I can only be happy if I'm under 29.

I'm still freezing. Time to go put on warm clothes!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am so excited that Dad did the 5k! Good for him! Good for all of you!!!