Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The power of peer pressure

I logged on earlier to check the blog. Daniel and I and the kids are in Georgia for a UGA Chemistry Alumni dinner, and I was about to use today's drive as an excuse -- but I had about two hours of down time and was just wimping out. After I read about how well Sarah has been running, I decided I really needed to get moving. I got an iPod for my birthday, so while the kids were watching TV I put it on and listened to music and marched around (actually, mostly skipped) for about 20 minutes -- it would have been longer but I had to help the kids get bathed. After the kids' baths I even did crunches. Since I also ran 5k yesterday (very, very slowly) I have accomplished two days of exercise thus far this week!

My weight was 139.5 today -- nothing great, but still below the awfulness of 140. (Funny that 140 is awful -- at the beginning of the year it would have been fabulous.) We have our St. Mary's Light the Fire 5k next Saturday, so I need to keep working out over the next week and a half or I'll make a very sorry showing. Daniel's in better shape -- he's down to about 28 minutes for the run. Mine was over 32, I think, when just a few months ago I was also around 28! I think most of it's mental.

I didn't do myself any favors tonight at the dinner. I had three glasses of wine and my teeny salad had a lot of dressing. But I didn't really overdo the rest of the food, so it could have been worse. I had a Frescatta for lunch (turkey sandwich with basil pesto, probably not low-fat, but way better than cheeseburger and fries) and a cereal bar for breakfast, and for snacks I had goldfish crackers, a handful of pretzels, three or four graham cracker squares (car food for the kids), a peppermint, and a couple of slices of chocolate orange. And some coffee -- isn't black coffee negative calories? I don't normally do caffeine so for me it probably is. So my eating is not fabulous.

Tomorrow we'll still be in Athens so I'll try to get some more walking in. I should try to go running but I didn't bring my running shorts, figuring that I'd be lucky to get Daniel away from the CCQC for long enough anyway. It will be restaurant food all day tomorrow, so I'd really better walk everywhere. No forward progress of late, but at least it's not totally backwards.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

See, now *I* would have used the peer pressure provided by my diet of alcohol, fried food, and food served on a stick. ;-)

You got an iPod? What kind? I could barely hear you when we talked on Sunday (and I was really distracted too) so I didn't get to ask about your birthday. Or maybe I did and can't remember.