Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Lemonade Diet

OK - Lynne Tuccy has all of the weird diets. She was the one that turned us onto the Fat Flush(which still is my favorite of the fad diets). Today she gave me the Lemonade Diet. This is actually not a diet so much as a fast. I don't know how anyone could do a diet like this - but I am tempted to try it. You do it for 10 to 40 days. All you consume is fresh lemon or lime juice mixed with pure maple syrup (the darker the better), lukewarm water and a smidge of cayenne pepper. This is a cleansing diet. I think you spend the first several days throwing up, pooping and being dizzy. You can drink mint tea for "a refreshing change" but that is it. To come off of the diet for two days you add in orange juice. Then, you add in fresh fruit or vegetables, then vegetable soup. This is over the course of three days. THEN you can eat normally again.

Anyone with me? ;-)

3 comments:

Emily said...

Golly day, that's practically a hunger strike! I get queasy just thinking about it. You can count me out! ;-)

Amy said...

Well - a strike would imply some more lofty motive; i.e. political change. All I want to do is lose weight - which makes it a starvation diet and way less admirable than a hunger strike.

The funny thing about fasts is that they always are connected to spiritual elevation. Even this book has a forward talking all about blessing food before a meal. Jesus fasting in the desert, etc.

Sarah said...

That's insane. I also don't get the point of cleansing your body like this. What's it cleaning out? Isn't your digestive system just there doing its job without the help of lemonade and cayenne pepper? Ewww.

Fasts aren't *always* connected to spiritual elevation. They just can be. I think most of the time they are only connected to people wanting to lose weight very quickly. Or to mental health problems. Or political motives.

I went to hear a speaker last month who was talking about Ramadan and he said the fasting during Ramadan isn't about spiritual enlightenment--just about controlling bodily apetities. It's a method of discipline, same as the fasting we do during Lent.

OTOH, it's a good discipline, I think, to regard food differently--that it's there to nourish and provide fuel and not just to satisfy apetites (am I spelling that right? It doesn't look right.). That's what I was doing last year when I was able to NOT snack so much--just constantly reminding myself of what my body needed to survive and not what I wanted because it tasted good.