Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Since you guys all have some knowledge about this...

Last night I was asked to consider a full time faculty position at the community college. It's a 10 month position and would pay around $40k, and it would start in Fall 2007. Is that good, bad, or average? I have no idea about this. I'd be teaching GIS, geography and some lower level math classes. I do not think I will go after it at this point; JMT is a few years away from the ESOP being complete and I really want to suck all the retirement money I can out of that, but I do want a job like this in the future (maybe 5 years from now??) so I need to understand how it all works. Do you guys have any input, comments, thoughts?

4 comments:

Emily said...

Julie, the salary is comparable to the 9-month salaries Daniel and I started with at Virginia Tech -- Daniel's was tenure-track and he had a PhD, so it was a bit higher, but not dramatically so. So I think the money is reasonable. I assume since it is a 10 month salary you'd be able to supplement with summer classes? That can make a big difference. Our Dad often worked a heavy load for one summer term then took the other term off, which gave him some nice long vacations but he still had a full year's salary.

Very cool that they've offered it to you! Congrats!

Sarah said...

I don't have much of a sense of what the faculty salaries are here (I only see contractual and administrative salaries) but that seems about right, maybe a bit on the low end of average. OTOH, working at a college is a great gig--you couldn't ask for better hours and benefits and the working atmosphere (at least here) is the best I've seen. I want to stay here until I retire--just having that week after Christmas and the week around Easter off each year makes it all worthwhile!

Amy said...

What an exciting, and flattering, offer. Even if you don't except it - it is great that they WANT you full time. How nice for you - and then you can definintely do the NEH grant study trips like Katie did this summer. 8-)

Amy said...

Oh - Check Salary.com too for a salary range for that type of position. It may not be an exact source, but it is still a useful one.