Wednesday, October 11, 2006

This is ironic...

So I'll confess right off I have this weird habit of checking the obits from the local paper where I grew up just to see if anyone I know or my dad knew passed away. I do this about 2-3 times a month. I was rolling through October when this one caught me eye (Skim through to the "survived by" part):

Harold R. "Hack" Spangler, 85, died peacefully at 5:05 a.m. Thursday, September 28, 2006, at the Hanover Hospital. He was the loving husband of Romaine E. (Sterner) Spangler, to whom he was married for 67 years. Born December 18, 1920, in Spring Grove, he was the son of the late Guy and Julia (Cline) Spangler. Mr. Spangler was a member of Zion United Church of Christ of Spring Grove but faithfully attended St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Broadway of Hanover for 70 years. He was also a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of the Elks 763, Hanover. Hack was a veteran of the United States Army, having served during World War II. He retired from Doubleday of Hanover, now known as Yes Solutions, after 37 years as a supervisor. Hack was a well known local craftsman, painter and artist. Reminders of his talents can be seen throughout the area. In addition to his loving wife, Romaine, Hack is survived by four daughters, Jeanne Bollinger and her husband ,Ron of Spring Grove, JoyceWentz and her husband, Larry of Hanover, Julie Spangler and her friend, Nance Darr of Lititz, and Jill Fissel and her friend, Dave Loss of McSherrystown; six grandchildren, Rodney Bollinger of Florida, Andy Bollinger of Texas, Brian Wentz of Shrewsbury, Troy Wentz of Hanover, Robin Powers of Virginia Beach, Va,. and Katie Angel of McSherrystown; nine great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild; and a sister, Geraldine Schuman and her husband, Richard of Hanover. He was preceded in death by a sister, Laura "Honey" Groft. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday, October 2, 2006, at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 1214 Broadway, Hanover, with the Rev. David L. DeLong officiating. Burial will be in Rest Haven Cemetery, Hanover. The family will receive friends from 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Kenworthy Funeral Home, Inc., 269 Frederick St., Hanover, and from 10 to 11 a.m. Monday at the church. The family suggests that contributions may be made in Harold's name to St.Paul's Lutheran Church, 1214 Broadway, Hanover, PA 17331. Published in the Evening Sun

So how weird is it that there's another chick out there with my name AND the fact that she's a lesbian? I wonder how many people I went to HS with are like "Man, I never knew!" Just FYI--this fellow isn't even related to my family.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That's too funny! I bet some people are going "but I thought I heard she got married?"

Emily said...

LOL! What are the odds?

Amy said...

Wow Julie! So how long have you had this "friend" and why haven't we met her? 8-) How odd is all of that? There is an Amy Angerer out in Washington state - and I went to college with a Mary Angerer - but she pronounced it differently.