Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Twelve Days of Fitness

OK, ladies!  We have 14 days until Christmas.  That means, as of tomorrow, 12 days that aren't Christmas or Christmas Eve.  So I am issuing a challenge, along the lines of the one at my gym:  12 days of fitness!  Do 12 days of SOME kind of exercise every day.  It can be as simple as ten jumping jacks (which would be enough to kill me -- I hate jumping jacks) if you discover it's 11:58 pm and you haven't had a moment to exercise yet.  But do SOMETHING!  Ideally it should be something different every day -- try out each of the different cardio machines at the gym, do upper body weights one day, lower another day, do a video you haven't pulled out in ten years (Jane Fonda, anyone?  I have one with Scottish dancing on it!), try jogging if you usually walk, run up and down the stairs until you pass out.  But anything is better than nothing -- if you can't come up with something new, do something old again -- it still counts.  12 days!!  That's all!  Then you can relax when Christmas arrives.

Incidentally, the list of nineteen from my gym includes:

  • Bring a friend
  • Take a yoga or Pilates class
  • Take a Strictly Strength class (cardio muscle work)
  • Take a morning cycle class (that's 5:30 am -- they mean MORNING)
  • Take a cycle class after noon
  • Take a cycle class on the weekend
  • Take a 20 minute Absolute Core class (Pilates without the stuff I'm good at, I guess)
  • Take any cardio-based aerobics class
  • Free weight upper body workout
  • 30 minute elliptical workout
  • 30 minute stair stepper workout
  • 30 minute stationary bike workout
  • 30 minute treadmill workout
  • Body Master (like Nautilus) upper body workout
  • Body Master lower body workout
  • 3 mile workout on the track
  • 2 laps of walking lunges on the track
  • Hammer Strength workout (it's a cross between Nautilus and free weights)
  • Take 2 back-to-back classes (like I'd survive!!)
Have fun!  Who's with me?  Post each day and tell us what you did.  My gym gives a stocking of goodies if you finish -- I'm sure I can scare up a prize for you if you take the challenge!

1 comment:

Amy said...

OK! I'm in! I think I can promise only three "new" things - yoga class., water class, and elliptical. Oh! Maybe I will do the rowing machine too - I spotted one the other day that I hadn't noticed before... I will have to make a schedule.