Saturday, December 01, 2007

Negative calories!

I ate about 500 calories between breakfast and lunch today. This afternoon Daniel went out for a 10 mile run with a couple of friends of his -- the longest distance he has ever run. My legs, particularly my hamstrings, were sore from yesterday on the elliptical, so I had talked myself out of exercising today -- or, at best, I was going to do some crunches and push-ups and MAYBE a wimpy power walk from WAtP. But when Daniel got back from running he was fired up and managed to urge/guilt me into running, too.

The last time I ran was a week ago at his parents, and had it not been for a sudden-onset intestinal issue I would have gone at least four miles instead of the usual 3.4 or so. The longest I have ever run before was a 10k (6.2 miles) around Loganville (which was very flat) so I made that my goal again. My Nike+iPod isn't totally accurate on distances, so I turned around after 3.1 miles by its count, but then at the end it said I had run 6.6 -- which was probably about right based on the markings on the trail. It was certainly somewhere between 6.2 and 6.6 miles, and that's my longest distance ever. It got difficult around 4 miles but I pledged to keep on running until I hit the 5 mile point, and by then I'd long since gotten past the wall and was able to keep going until I got home. It's a good thing I set my sights high to begin with, such that I was turning around just at the point a lot of my runs would end, because then I had no choice but to keep moving until I got home!

When I entered my info into the Daily Plate it said I had burned 935 calories over my 67-minute run. So now I'm well below 0 for the day! Hee hee! Daniel and I are ordering pizza tonight to celebrate. We had planned on ordering pizza when both of us hit our next goal weight -- mine was 139.5 and his was something-else-9.5 -- but his has been slower in coming, and I know for a fact I've earned it anyway. Yippee!

It's also good that I'm posting now, while I'm still on a bit of a high -- tomorrow I will likely be unable to move!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good for you! That's great that you were able to run so far! I can't even manage 5K on a track. I have to stop and walk parts of it, and by the end I'm so DONE that I can barely make it off the track. It drives me crazy that no matter what I do, I can't seem to improve my stamina or speed.

Emily said...

I can't really do 5k on a track -- I tend to push the pace more there so I wear out too quickly. And I'm bored stiff by the end of a mile anyway. Running outside makes all the difference to me.

Today I'm not as sore as I expected, but my knee is complaining. My shoes seemed weak -- they don't show much wear because I usually have them on indoors but I think the support in the right shoe is breaking down. So my right foot, knee, and gluteal were unhappy for the last mile, and today I'm still suffering for it.