Tuesday, December 11, 2007

136.0!

This has been such a surprising week, weight-wise.  Last week I couldn't buy a half pound of weight loss to save my life.  Then Wednesday my weight dropped to 137.5 (from 139) and hovered between that and 138.5 all week.  And then today it dropped another pound and a half from my lowest point.  I've actually eaten a lot more calories in the past week than I did in the week before, to the tune of 200 per day.  But my water intake has been so much better.  I even re-weighed myself a minute later because I didn't believe the 136, and it went down another half pound to 135.5.  I'd think my scale was nuts but Daniel's weight has been pretty consistent over the past couple of days.

In other news, I find myself completely sore today from Pilates yesterday!  The class only marginally resembled the videos.  We started out with a ball -- I picked something mediumish because I didn't know whether larger or smaller was better.  Turns out I really wanted something much, much, much, much, much smaller.  Like none.  After about three minutes I abandoned the ball altogether.  As I predicted -- and warned the teacher in advance -- I looked like a complete idiot for a good portion of the class, especially since I was parallel to five or six members of the Virginia Tech women's swim team, all of whom have perfect bodies and tons of strength and control.  I almost gave up entirely and I saw at least three other people do just that -- but I was as far from the door as possible and I didn't think I could get 12 days of fitness credit if I walked out that early.  But once we were rid of the ball and moved into exercises that strengthened arms and legs more than the core, I was in surprisingly good shape.  I was actually able to do the exercises -- they didn't involve holding my legs up at a 45 degree angle do the floor, or slightly staggered, or scissoring down, or anything else horrible like that.  Just about the last thing in the class was push-ups -- which, of course, I've been doing on a daily basis for the last month.  I could hear all these mega-fit people all over the room groaning and gasping for breath, and I found them totally easy -- she did them more slowly than I do but only half as many, so I could have kept going.  So since I had both strength and energy left at the end of the class, I know I could do better next time.  I just need to really, really work at my core strength -- 100 crunches just aren't enough.  I need to start hanging my legs in the air more.

I sweated profusely through the class.  Everyone else looked fine to me but at the end they all said they were sweating, too, even the teacher -- she was slipping all over the mat (at least my mat has pretty good traction, or did, until I was producing buckets toward the end).  It was in the 60s here yesterday and the room was uncomfortably warm.  I'm told it's not usually that way.

Anyway, as I said, now I hurt.  Mostly through the shoulders and back.  But it feels like good hurt, not the messed-up-knee hurt I had after my long run.  So I think I'll survive.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Good for you!! You are much braver than me. Monday nights at my gym there is an aqua-sculpt class that I want to take. I forgot about it last night until I was AT the gym - but it was too late by then. I am such a chicken too. I worry about things like: do I need a swim cap? what kind of bathing suit should I wear? do I change into it THERE or should I just wear clothes over it? etc. I know it is silly! If I would just go I would be fine. Same with the yoga class. I worry about not being up to par. I just have to do it!!

Emily said...

I totally sympathize!! I didn't know if I should bring a mat or not (I did and stuck it into my bag, until I saw that other people had mats) or what I should wear (I agonized over whether I should wear my exercise shorts over spandex, which made my shorts look like a skirt, or just my shorts, which makes my underwear show, or my long exercise pants, which fall up to my thighs when my legs are upside-down -- I went with the pants, and they were identical to the teacher's -- phew!). I decided I just couldn't worry about being totally unfit, though I vastly underestimated how unfit I was -- I can do the crunches so easily now, and my upper body and lower body are in good shape, but this is PILATES. It's going to take a lot of nerve to go back a second time.

Emily said...

And BTW, any swimsuit that stays up when you wave your arms around or twist would be fine. I personally would skip a two-piece but you see those on some scary-looking women, so, truly, anything goes. I wouldn't worry about a swim cap if you have some other way of keeping your hair out of your face, since this isn't a racing class. Most women change into their suits in the locker room at our pool, but some wear clothes over them, so you can do either one if you you allow the right amount of time. Either way I change into dry clothes before I leave.

And nobody looks good doing yoga and you couldn't look any worse than I did on the core exercises with the ball yesterday, so don't lose sleep over it. Just do it! ;-)