Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Ho boy - did I BLOW it!

I was doing so good yesterday! I had only had one Hershey special dark kiss - and one cookie. I ate reasonably at dinner. I was actually pretty pleased with me.

THEN - I came home and was reading before I went to bed an proceeded to eat 9 Hershey kisses (various flavors), 4 peppermint nougats, 2 Peppermint Patties, and 3 Rolos. Oh! And the chocolate covered pretzels that were in my stocking. That pushed me about 200 calories beyond what my calorie level was. Then today (when I was adding all of the candy in) I remembered that I had egg nog with rum also. THAT really did me in. And I had to add the coffee with creamer I had in the morning (about 40 calories - no too bad) and just now I remembered that I had two glasses of wine - one with dinner and one after. Sigh. Yeah - so I was REALLY beyond my calories yesterday.

To make up for it I am giving blood today. A pint? That weighs a pound right? So I should be down tomorrow... Actually my weight today was 229.4 - which is slightly down from my last weight (229.8) but I can't remember if that was yesterday or on Monday - and it is absolutely right in line with what I HAVE been weighing.

I am really scared to death to drop my calorie level again. That is what BOTH of the nutritionist I have met with have said has screwed me up (at least in part). While I know I am perfectly able to eat 1200 calories or less, Rebecca (the current nutritionist) and Jennifer (the previous nutritionist) both said that my body is very good at adapting. My history of dieting has show this too. I really need to figure out a way to get my metabolism working at a more effective rate. 1700 calories really SHOULD be leading to weight loss in someone my size and Rebecca said that she didn't want me going below 1800 calories - so it is already below what I should be doing. I think I need to start eating BETTER food choices. I have been sticking within my calorie level easily - but I have been eating a lot of carbs and not enough fruits and vegetables. I already have switched my coffee to skim milk and no sugar - but my afternoon coffee I still get with the vanilla flavor - which is ALL sugar I think. I am going to try plain skim lattes instead of the vanilla latte and see if I like it all right. Lattes are my only source of milk at this point in my life - so I don't feel too guilty about them. I also have gone almost entirely to whole grains. I do need to get back to the gluten free stuff. Rebecca also said that I won't show much improvement from a gluten free diet until I have been doing it for a month or two - after my digestive tract has had a chance to heal. She said that if you have a gluten sensitivity, the GI tract gets irritated and inflamed and needs to recover completely before it starts working effectively again.

I am also going to read the Ultra metabolism book. I know cinnamon and cayenne pepper help jump start your metabolism - and I am sure there are foods that do it too. As long as it isn't the bitter greens (kale, chard, and the like) which make me gag I can probably enhance my diet.


So - these are my partial new years resolutions. That and to learn to make sushi. That is gluten free. Last years resolution (learn to run) has been partially achieved. I can't run like Emily and Sarah can - but I DO run in spasmodic bursts when I am walking. It is easier on my shins and sometimes you just CAN'T walk that fast. Luckily my legs are long - so usually I CAN walk that fast. 8-)

No comments: