Saturday, December 15, 2007

On the fourth day of fitness, the exercise for me...

gave me intestinal trouble.  I ran on the treadmill for 45 minutes, plus a 5-minute cool-down.  I tried setting it at my road pace at first (I average just under a 10-minute mile) but set it for random changes in incline at a challenge level of 10, and I quickly realized this was going to be impossible -- that 10-minute mile is for a mix of flat, uphill, and downhill.  Take out the flat and the downhill and the pace is insane!  So I cranked it back to 5.5 and eventually settled at 5.3, and after 30 minutes my heart turned out to be going too fast so I cut it back to level 9, and then not long after to level 8.  When I overdo it on running my intestines get hyperactive, so I had my worries that I might have to dash to the locker room instead of finishing my run, but the decreases made it manageable and I survived.  Ugh.  I imagine if I did a treadmill run more often I'd get better at figuring out my settings -- after all, I know just what to do for the bikes and the elliptical machines -- but it's just dull as dirt.  Not horrid, like the stair-climber, but dull, dull, dull.  But I did burn 500+ calories, so that makes it more worthwhile.

Anyway, that puts us a third of the way through our 12 days.  And I've done four different things.  Yippee!

3 comments:

Amy said...

There is an Olympic marathon runner (woman, from South Africa I think) who gets diarreah when she runs. It absolutely makes sense that when you are moving vigorously your intestines go into hyper drive too. Remember, with Dad, getting him moving was one of the requirements for getting his motility back online?

Amy said...

I guess it isn't such an uncommon thing at all. It even has a name "Runners Diarrhea" http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/runners-diarrhea/AN00376

Emily said...

Gross. But I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I had this problem when we were in Alabama for Thanksgiving but I thought it might be viral -- now I don't know. I do know that exercise at any medium intensity or more gets my bowels moving a bit (i.e., gas) but it's only recently that this has turned into anything painful or severe. Ick. I just need not to push myself quite as hard as I'm inclined to!