Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The worst EVER

This is it - the worst ever weigh in day weight... 219.2 today. I was 217.2 yesterday - so two pounds up in 24 hours - and almost two pounds up from last week. Yeah - this was bad eating on the weekend - and minimal exercise. I didn't do any yesterday. By the time Katie and I left the hospital we were ready for dinner, but not for cooking, so we decided to go for sushi. It was around 9pm when we got back from that and I was just beat. It wasn't until I was getting in bed that I remembered that I hadn't done any exercise. Oh well. So -apparently just about a week is what I can do in a row... Sigh. I will start up again today. I am going to the hospital earlier than last night.

So - I think I am having sympathy non-pooping issues. I am so full right now my belly hurts and all I have eaten was a bowl of raisin bran. I bought blueberries last night, so I hope those will do the trick - but for some reason I am not moving anything through either. And it is starting to HURT (not to mention my weight gain!)

I am very tired today. I woke up around 4am this morning and never really went back to sleep. I was stewing about the hospital having thrown away Dad's flowers. WHY didn't they bring them down with the rest of his personal stuff? Why not the vase at least? That is really bugging me!!!!!!!

Oh - Julie, you knew Dad was in the hospital from surgery on his stomach last week - what you don't know is that yesterday he had an episode of heart failure (he has congestive heart failure) which landed him in in ICU. He is still there as far as I know... Sarah did some research into what this actually meant and it was that his body is over producing fluid which filled up his heart and lungs making them operate ineffectively at best. They put him on an oxygen tube and what looked to be a stomach draining tube. They suspect that the swelling from the surgery is preventing food from passing into and through his digestive system, leaving him vomiting - and causing his distressed body to respond by producing excess fluid which then fills up his lungs and heart. Well - that is what Drs. Sarah and Amy (with a consult from Katie) came up with.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Dad also didn't get all his medicine yesterday morning (doesn't THAT sound familiar!). He had only taken some of it, which he didn't keep down, and then when he vomited they didn't give him the rest, since he wouldn't keep it down, either. WHY they didn't think of injectibles then is beyond me! So my personal theory is that the fluid built up mainly because he didn't have the medicine that he HAS to have EVERY DAY, several times a day, to keep it from building up!

Sarah said...

He DID get his medicine yesterday! They weren't able to give it to him orally in the morning because he was vomiting (at that point the only thing he had taken was his potassium, which he kept down) so they ordered it in a form that could be given through his IV, but he had his "episode" before that arrived, but then when it did arrive, after he was in ICU, they gave it to him at that point. Mom said that he often forgets to take that medication at the right time and can take it hours later with no negative repurcussions, although the stress of surgery and no effective digestion and no adequate nutrition probably makes the medication far more necessary.

Emily said...

OK, Mom left a lot out when I talked to her! He hadn't gone to ICU yet but she said they hadn't given him his medicine and she didn't say anything about *any* other form being ordered -- just that he hadn't had it so that could have caused it. Sheesh.

Julie S said...

I am hopeful that the doctors will give your dad the care he needs. It sounds like things are being overlooked. Is he miserably ill with the throwing up, etc? I am not sure how someone actually feels when this is happening to them. He will be in my thoughts, that's for sure.