Monday, March 26, 2007

Day Two

I forgot to mention that my trainer doesn't want me weighing myself everyday. I think that is silly - but I am giving it a try for now. I will make an exception for weigh in day on Tuesday, but today is the second day in a row where I didn't weigh myself. I know it is really a matter of personal philosophy. I think I am going to stick to my eating habits better if I am watching my progress closely - rather than stepping on the scale once a week only to be blindsided by the number. I also like having the record of my progress.

I can't help but question these "professionals." I feel like - minus the science part - I have as much knowledge as the nutritionist when it comes to planning a healthy diet. And, while I KNOW I don't have as much equipment and stuff as the trainer, I am not a total moron either. He told me that my exercise shoes are the reason my knees are bothering me. I know shoes will affect your knees - but I hardly think a pair of shoes that I wear AT BEST a few times a week are going to be the source of my grinding. I would think it is more likely the heels I wear here at work. He told me it was time to replace them. They are practically BRAND NEW - I don't even feel like I have broken them in yet. He stuck his hand in and pressed around - but I don't know what he was pressing - because when I did it, it felt uncomfortably firm, and even in its firmness. I can barely bend the stupid things. I am not spending another $60 plus for new shoes anytime soon!! Additionally he said to me that a woman's waist measurement should be about 28 or 29". I would LOVE to have a waist that small - but with my build I would look like Barbie! I had a 28" waist before I was fully grown. I told him according to what I have read, 28" is at the LOWEST end of the scale!!! He thought I was wrong - I told him if he expects that of me we are both doomed to fail. Goals should be realistic if you ask me!

I did 15 minutes on the treadmill this morning (150 calories). Morning exercise frustrates me. I had to get up a half an hour early to get in 15 minutes of exercise - and then I needed a shower afterwards. Sigh. AND - Morning news shows SUCK! I have to get a radio in the sewing room so I can listen to NPR while I exercise.

3 comments:

Amy said...

BTW - See, the calorie gauge seems to be off... Maybe... Yesterday it took 44:26 to get to 400 calories - today it took 14:43 to get to 150 calories. I know I set my pace faster today, alternating in little bursts of running - but I didn't think it was THAT much faster - but I burned more calories... I also noticed yesterday that I burned more calories in the first 10 minutes of my workout, than I did over all. I woudln't THINK the machine would assume you burn more initially - but maybe it does, in which case, it makes more sense to do several shorter workouts.

Sarah said...

Oh, piffle. If you stick to your good habits better with daily weigh-ins, then do that. The reasoning behind the once-a-week weighing yourself is that daily variations in weight can be caused by lots of factors, but differences from one week to the next are more likely to be real weight loss. But you do what works for you, and I *know* read a study within the past year that showed that daily weigh-ins lead to better weight loss over time because people are less likely to cheat.

Did he know that your knee problems are not just with those shoes? Did he give any ideas for *why* those shoes might be causing problems? I mean, I can understand if he said "you overpronate and these shoes don't have the proper mid-heel torsion control" (or whatever--I made that up) but if it's just "they're old" then that's hooey.

Emily said...

I agree with Sarah -- weigh yourself daily if you want to! You know that it's not official except on a week to week basis anyway, and the research says people lose better doing daily weigh-ins because they can nip bad habits in the bud.

And, yes, you know pretty much as much as these professionals know -- but their job is to keep you honest! I brush and floss more thoroughly before I go to the dentist; if I had the dentist checking my teeth every day I'd have cleaner teeth all the time! A personal trainer does the same thing -- you KNOW he's going to be checking, so you can't slack off or you'll get caught!

I think the change in calorie burning is proportionate to your pace. You would have burned 450 calories in 50 (49:59) minutes at yesterday's pace, and you would burn 450 calories in just over 44 (44:09) minutes at today's pace. That's not that huge of a difference, and an increase in pace could easily do that.