Monday, March 26, 2007

I *really* need to get into shape!

You'd think that a year and a half of regular exercise and three miles on the treadmill three days a week would have me in moderately good shape--at least enough to walk around being a tourist for a day, right? Well on Saturday I met some people in DC for the afternoon. I arrived around 12:45, parked on Capitol Hill, walked to the Smithsonian castle to meet them, walked with them down to the Washington Monument and then the Lincoln Memorial, then back the same way. Then later in the day I took Connor for a walk in the stroller. I mapped these two walks and it was a grand total of 8 miles--six in DC (over about three hours, so a nice, slow pace) and two with Connor (much faster--I had him in the jogging stroller and kept up a 4 m.p.h. pace). And by Saturday evening I ached! And I still ached on Sunday! If I can't keep that up, what am I going to do in Disney World? Of course, Florida probably doesn't have any hills nearly as steep as Capitol Hill, and I doubt that they put stairs like the ones on the Lincoln Memorial in a theme park, but clearly I need to step up my level of activity so I don't get wiped out in June!

Brian had someone come look at our home gym to see if we could get it working again. Turns out it just needed some lubricant and adjusting, so I can get back to that. Of course my scrapbook area is blocking part of the machine--can't do some of the legwork--but I can go back to the upper body work and some lower body stuff.

I'm looking forward to going to the gym today--I downloaded Chicago over the weekend and started it yesterday so I can't wait to get back to it!

2 comments:

Amy said...

GACK! If YOU get worn out and achy - what am *I* going to be like in Florida!?!! Sigh. I think it is partially the weather. I have been sore and achy for the past several days. I go to bed and ponder how tight my shoulder and HIP muscles. Today, my legs have gotten progressively achier as the day has progressed - and I have a workout with the trainer tonight and another 250 calories to burn on the treadmill. How am I going to fit that all in????

Sarah said...

I'm going to try to fit longer walks in on the weekends now that CCD is over and the days are longer. I'm planning to get out for five miles one day each weekend, and do it on roads instead of the treadmill so that I have to deal with different terrain and inclines.