Thursday, March 29, 2007

Stupid conscience

After the gym last night we went to Lowe's, where I did some heavy lifting (well, mostly heavy dragging -- I put mulch and soil into my cart, then I put it into my car), and then I offered the kids dinner out. They picked Chick-fil-a, which turned out to be a bad idea for me, as they don't actually serve any non-fries/non-drink items which do not contain chicken, and I've been avoiding meat most of the time (it's been about once a week all Lent -- and no bacon at all). So I resigned myself to having chicken, and what I *really* wanted were some high fat, nice, hot, deep fried chicken strips. But I felt that that would be overindulging on the chicken, and very unhealthy when I just said yesterday how I'd like to get my weight down, so I grudgingly got myself a caesar cool wrap instead and barely used any of the dressing. And I only ate half of it because I got full quickly. Today I ate the other half for lunch. But chicken strips eaten all at one go would have been more fun.

My weight has been 141.5 both days since weigh-in -- why couldn't it have done that on Tuesday? Sheesh.

At the gym yesterday I ran a mile (after taking out a locker) but I quickly became bored with the running. But by that time the bikes I like were full (I won't touch the uprights -- they give a horrible wedgie!) so I did 30 minutes on an elliptical instead. I had a book going on my iPod and I definitely wasn't as bored as I would have been on the bike, and I really worked some different muscles (when I wasn't getting out of whack on my stride -- I never feel fluid on the elliptical, and about four or five times I did a jarring step). Today my hamstrings are quite sore, and while I was working I found I was using my abs much more than I would on the bike. My quads, surprisingly, didn't get tired at all, so they must be in pretty good shape. I burned over 300 calories in the 30 minutes, according to the machine. I'm not saying I'd want to do this every day, but it was a good change.

After the cardio work I did shoulder presses and chest presses, and I went for smaller sets (6 at a time instead of 15-18) at a more consistent weight. I ended up getting through just as many exercises as usual, with a much higher average weight. Today I am not sore but I can feel some stiffness if I lift my arms over my head, which seems about right.

Today it's raining so I'm going to have to do something boring inside. But I will do it. Sigh.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I KNOW the bikes must work muscles - because it isn't will power making the things go... but I agree with you - it is a good cardio workout, but I don't know why because I never feel like ANY of my muscles got a good workout. I like the eliptical and the treadmill, and if I work hard on them I feel it it my quads and gluts.