Tuesday, March 27, 2007

142.5

I was disappointed at that this morning because it felt like the same weight as last week, but it wasn't -- it was a pound down. But last week's weight was higher than the week had been, and this week's weight was higher than the past couple of days have been -- I've seen 142.0 several times and yesterday I saw 141.5! But the point is that I'm making progress, and I haven't seen 147 or 148 in a while now. Whew!

Yesterday I did 30 minutes on the bike at the gym, intending to run a mile on the track as well. But they don't put pockets in women's athletic shorts (Why? Why? Why??) so I had the keys tied into the drawstring, and 15 seconds into the run they fell off. So I walked one loop and re-tied the keys more securely and tried to run, but after one more loop I gave up because I couldn't stand the darn things whacking my stomach all the way. It seems ridiculous to hog a whole locker just for keys, and I'm not keen on leaving my keys just sitting in an open cubby. Anyway, since I still had time to kill during my gym session, I did VKR, chest press, shoulder press (ugh, I still suck at that), leg curls, and leg lifts. I felt like I was working hard doing all of those, and I had to keep dialing the weight back a bit at a time to finish the sets, but today I don't have the slightest bit of tiredness in my muscles, so I could probably do more.

Today I will exercise at home, which isn't as fun or as satisfying, but it's better than nothing.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

They don't put pockets on the shorts because then the keys whack against your thighs as you run and it really hurts! I have a nifty shirt that has a tiny zippered pocket on the lower back/side of the shirt that's perfect for holding a key and i.d. in a place that doesn't get in the way.

Amy said...

I used to carry my keys on one of those stretchy bracelet thingies when I used the track at the Y. Or, didn't I give you one of those shoe key holders? Or get a fanny pack. Hee hee.

I am surprised that I am not more achy today too - but I CAN feel every muscle - so I know I worked hard. I am pretending in my head that I am training for something... I keep thinking that will give me motivation - but it doesn't. I really need a goal - Like a wedding, or trying to get pregnant or something. I have no REASON for all of this torture.

Also - Emily, all of the trainers I have worked with have told me to push yourself to do as many reps as you can at the weight you have set. I think this is psychological - you will push yourself harder to finish a set if you don't have the back door of reducing the weight... I find that very frustrating. Sometimes you CAN'T finish a set - but stopping at 13 or 7 or 9 or whatever does NOT sit well with my OCD self. I do is tell myself I am doing 10 sets of three (or whatever breaksdown... 8 sets of 5, or whatever...) Then you can rest in between. This is actually pretty good for your muscles (mini rests) as well as good for you mental health.

Emily said...

The shoe pouch is good for an ID and a housekey but useless for the van keys, which are thick and bulky and have a necessary remote. They put pockets on men's athletic shorts; do they not mind the whacking as much? Maybe not.

I know I'm weak psychologically when I don't feel sore the next day. But I do the shoulder reps until I'm wobbly and can't lift the weight anymore, and that happens even on the lowest weight, though usually I just manage to eek out the full set (I do three sets of 15 at whatever weight I can manage, though I try to make it to 18 as a bonus on each). But I need to get to the wobbly point on the higher weights, I guess! And on the other equipment.