Monday, March 05, 2007

Sugar Free

http://www.realage.com/News_Features/tipPrint.aspx?cid=17755

RealAge Tip of the Day Why Sugar Is Not Always Sweet If it tastes good, it must be bad for you, right? Well, not always, but in this case the answer is yes. Love your Lucky Charms? Can't give up your Cocoa Puffs? It's time to tame your taste buds. Eating 5 to 7 teaspoons of sugar a day -- whether it's called honey or sucrose, whether it's in soft drinks or doughnuts -- ups your risk of pancreatic cancer by 70 percent. Check labels and skip foods that give sugar star billing. Watch out for these hidden sources of added sugar

Cakes, pastries, cookies, ice cream -- some foods just scream sugar. Others -- from salad dressing to ketchup -- aren't so obvious. Good rule of thumb: If it's processed and comes out of a can, jar, bottle, or box, there's a good chance it contains sugar. So get into the habit of checking labels. If you see sugar or its many aliases (pretty much anything that ends in "ose," such as sucrose, dextrose, maltose, and high-fructose corn syrup) near the top of the ingredients list, you might as well be eating it straight from the sugar bowl. The danger? Excess sugar puts your pancreas into overdrive, forcing it to crank out massive amounts of insulin to process all that glucose in your blood. And continuously high blood sugar and insulin levels -- the kind you get when your day is filled with sweet snacks and sugary drinks -- can damage your pancreas in ways that invite cancer.

References: Consumption of sugar and sugar-sweetened foods and the risk of pancreatic cancer in a prospective study <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17093171&query_hl=15&itool=pubmed_docsum>. Larsson, S. C., Bergkvist, L., Wolk, A., American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2006 Nov;84(5):1171-1176.

Copyright(c) 2007, RealAge, Inc. All rights reserved. RealAge shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. RealAge(r) is a federally registered trademark of RealAge, Inc. Real Age(tm) and Age Reduction(r) are trademarks of RealAge, Inc Sugar Free

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Well, I'm screwed then! I haven't been able to give up sugar in my coffee! Maybe I can cut it in half, though. I hated Splenda when I tried it. The other foods I eat daily that I KNOW have sugar are breakfast cereal (Frosted Mini Wheats or instant oatmeal) and yogurt. And the worst is knowing what an addict I am--now that I'm not eating sweets, the cravings haven't stopped even though it's been nearly two weeks! And I find myself munching on salty things trying to make up for the lack of sweet things and I think I end up eating MORE because of it--I'm eating an unsatisfying replacement for the thing I really want. Ugh.

Emily said...

I'm in trouble on the sugar front, too. I'm a sugar junkie. I love breakfast because it's such a sweet meal -- and, sorry, corn flakes and plain Cheerios don't do it for me for breakfast. I've been snarfing down raisins at the end of the day because they're so close to candy -- no shortage of sugar in those, but at least it's natural. (Fruits are within my rules; I don't know how yours are!) I considered giving up junk food altogether this Lent but that lasted about six hours into the second day! Sigh.