Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Meeting with the nutritionist

So I met with a nutritionist yesterday. I liked her. I don't know if it was worth the $100 bucks it cost me because I didn't really learn THAT much. In fact - she said that I was obviously well informed.

She suggested a few things - she said that German heritage usually means that my body is extremely adaptable. This is not at all unusual in German women - which is why they tend to be very stocky. She said that they also have excellent muscles. She wants me to work more on building up my muscle tone. She hooked me up with a personal trainer ($250 for 12 sessions!) who I plan to meet with on Saturday. This may do me some good. Even when I do work on strength training I don't push myself as much as I could. She said - what I already know - that muscles burn calories better than anything.

Then she also said that I have to allow for set meal times. She said this current theory of "grazing" doesn't work for people who are already overweight. She said it is like keeping a little bit of gas in the car all the time. It will never run out (and therefore use up stored fat) and it isn't burning most efficiently. So my goal in the next several weeks is to try the eat then stop, eat then stop, eat then stop - etc.

She told me to eat protein for breakfast. She said that when she eats carbs for breakfast she is hungry again right away. I told her I RARELY feel hunger at all so that really isn't a factor in my food planning.

She thinks I need to be treated for PCOS also. She brought it up a couple of times. However, I told her that I have been tested for PCOS twice and each time my numbers all fall within the "normal" range. Normal for who I said - and she agreed with me completely. However, she also agreed that getting a doctor to prescribe metformin just because we all think it would work is impossible. I did tell her I would bring it up with Barbara Ball again.

She told me that she didn't know but I should check the affects of weight gain when using St. John's Wort. Many sertitonin uptake inhibitors cause slow steady weight gain - and that is what I have experienced and it has been within the years that I started taking St. John's Wort. However, it has been a fairly long while since I DID take that consistantly - so I would think I would no longer be seeing the impact of that.

She gave me her menu plan - which is pretty much the same as ALL the healthy eating menu plans... I will do it though. She wants to meet with me again in 6 weeks - but the next appointment available is 8 weeks (which is fine with me considering it is so expensive!).

OH! Most alarminly - when she checked my height I had lost an inch! AN INCH! Her measuring thing-y said I was 5' 6.75" I said you mean 5' SEVEN.75. She measured me again. I told her I was 5'7.75 as recently as July - and have been my whole life. I think her thing is wrong. She said it could be off as much as 1/2 and inch - and you are taller in the morning than at night... but STILL! I think I need to have my knees checked - they seem to be collapsing...

I was 217.6 this morning.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You need to see a fertility doctor -- they love to prescribe drugs just because "they think they might work"! Every drug I took was because they thought maybe, even when they hadn't run any tests. And even if my testosterone was normal they would have given me metformin just because I seemed to fit the profile. Too bad GYNs don't work the same way!