Tuesday, September 04, 2007

No Doubt

OK - I decided that my stomach was settled enough to do the wheat test... So I cooked up a bunch of Wheatena (a REALLY gross product BTW) and ate the whole serving. As with the bowl of barley to test the gluten, about half way through I started feeling my stomach tightening up and the food felt like a disgusting lump. Very soon after that my colon (or stomach - innards anyway) started vibrating. THIS time, however, I got the very distinct ir-irk, ir-irk sound that my gut makes when my colon spasms. So - gluten, or wheat anyway - it is. Ugh. I don't know exactly what this means for me - because clearly my intolerance is live withable - I have done it for 40 years after all. However, I have to say I have enjoyed NOT having gas for the past three weeks. I don't know either if it will affect my weight loss attempts at all by eliminating gluten from my diet. I have to do a lot more reading about the effects of gluten. However, I have already discovered that there are a lot of wheat free and gluten free products to be had. It is just a matter of rethinking my food choices and preparation. The first thing I am going to do is find a source of gluten free sandwich bread and hamburger buns.

I still have corn to test. That will be tomorrow. I should also test citrus officially - but I have had a harder time keeping lemon, lime and orange out of my diet than I did wheat - believe it or not!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry! That really stinks. And now I'm wondering why any previous doctor didn't have you try an elimination diet? I guess they were more focused on your body chemistry. I wish these doctors would get with the program a bit more.

At least, as you say, there are lots of wheat/gluten free options these days, and at least if you DO decide to eat these foods on occasion you know how you'll respond.