Friday, September 14, 2007

Freaky Talent

I have come to the conclusion that I have an unnatural talent for winning those silly games that women play when they are in controlled situation - baby showers for example. We played a guess the baby food game today... Where you could sniff and taste an unidentified jar of baby food and whoever got the most correct wins the game. There were 6 jars and I only got four right - but that was more than everyone else who only got two or three right. What I don't understand is why didn't they get all of them right? I mean, I got squash wrong and I called peaches apricots (although, initially I guessed peaches and then CHANGED it to apricot). But bananas, green beans, pears and sweet potatoes are all pretty distinct scents (and tastes - although only about half of us actually tasted it...) But it seems to me that I win these games an unusal number of times... Like at bridal showers - ok, the toilet paper dress game makes sense that I would win - but the purse bingo. Why are the contents of MY purse more extensive than others? Or - last year when Julie and I went to Longaberger I KEPT winning the games - and I don't THINK I am a particularly savvy Longaberger person. And, for many of the games I just had lucky guesses. In many other cases I had NO idea that I had won because if I had known I would have given the entry to Julie or Marian or Marian's sister (who I can't remember her name...). Luckily I didn't keep the prizes - but I did get first right of refusal - which I kept refusing until the very bitter end when I couldn't resist the prize. Anyway - regardless - I just realized that this seems to be a reoccurring theme for me - winning silly games. And yet, I haven't won the lottery. Sigh.

Oh! The point of this was I won a Snickers bar which I just ate. SO not perfect!!!

1 comment:

Emily said...

The thing about silly games -- unlike the lottery -- is that they rely on having an enormous stash of trivia taking up space in your brain, and like the rest of us, except possibly Sarah who uses her brain for less useless trivia (though probably also the useless kind too), you do. And you're unusually bright enough to know how to apply it, particularly when that requires basic logical thought -- it's amazing how many people can't think clearly. Daniel is ready to throttle one of his students who has no concept of how to approach a problem! And this is a guy with a master's degree from a good school. And this is TYPICAL.