Saturday, September 15, 2007

Good news/bad news

Good news--yesterday, inexplicably, my weight dropped below 140. Actually, it was 138.4 which is REALLY inexplicable. One pound up or down from one day to the next is pretty normal fluctuation, but two pounds in one day is just weird (and three pounds since Tuesday).

Bad news--I spent yesterday eating like a pig. Or maybe a French person. I was at a conference all day and then one of our department fundraising dinners at night. I did at least eat breakfast at home in the morning so I wouldn't have to eat the inevitable pastries that they put out at conferences for breakfast, so that worked out, and I only had fruit during the morning break. I was expecting the also inevitable sandwich buffet for lunch, but instead they did a sit-down three course plated lunch for 700! Salad, chicken and asparagus and angel hair pasta, and carrot cake. I ate it all. It was really remarkably good, or maybe it just seemed that way because I'm so used to crap at these things. Anyway, as if that weren't bad enough, I then didn't resist the chocolate brownies put out for the afternoon break. Sigh. And then I went to this dinner and ate another big meal, this time four courses if you count the hors d'oeuvres (did I spell that right?). But I only had two (tiny bruchetta and tiny potato thingy with caviar and sour cream. Yum.). Dinner was a very yummy salad, grilled salmon (yuck--you know I don't like that much so I only ate a bit of it), vegetables in a rice wrapper, and way too peppery potatoes (again, only ate a bit of them). Yummy chocolate mousse pyramid thing for dessert. And a glass and a half of wine. Weird that my favorite things from this meal, other than dessert, were the salad and vegetables! But the salad was REALLY good--asian pears, sugared pecans, gorgonzola, green stuff, and port wine vinagrette).

So the good thing is that when you eat meals like this you aren't tempted to snack on junk all evening! But the bad thing was my calorie intake, which I don't even want to consider. At least I got all of my vegetable servings in for the day. Oh, and no exercise of course. Unless schmoozing is exercise.

But today my weight was still below 140, although only by a little bit (139.6). I'm just hoping to hold on to this until Tuesday!

No comments: