Monday, March 29, 2010

No exercise this weekend

And terrible diet as well.

It started Friday with Connor's birthday (cupcake with breakfast), then a retirement party at work (tried to be good and stick with the fruit, but ended up also eating a piece of cake and a danish). Saturday was our day trip to New York, where we ate junk on the bus, had hot dogs for lunch, then ate more junk on the way home (and no dinner--I didn't realize that until I went to bed). The only exercise I got was walking around New York.

And poor Claire! She woke up Saturday morning with a headache. I gave her Advil, but she was complaining so much that I finally said "look, if you feel that bad, maybe we should just stay home." She didn't want to do that, and by the time we got to the Park and Ride, she was much better. That only lasted a couple of hours--she started feeling worse on the bus and by the time we arrived in NY, she had a fever and felt awful. What do you do with a kid in NY when she just wants to go home and get into bed, but the bus doesn't leave for another 7 hours and it's windy and cold? She dragged herself to the AG store (it was only a few blocks, but she really was pushing herself to make it there) where she kind of collapsed on a cafe table and stayed there with her head down for most of an hour. She started to feel a bit better, so we headed up to FAO Schwartz and while we were there she perked up a bit. We had about two hours where she felt well enough to enjoy herself, but then she got really tired and cold again. It WAS chilly, but I have pictures of her bundled up in her winter coat, hood up, gloves on while everyone else in the photo is just wearing a jacket and that's it. I felt awful for her, but didn't know what else to do!

On Sunday, I was hit with the same thing--woke up with a sore throat and fever. Claire and I both spent most of the day in bed. She hadn't even made it out of her clothes when she came home on Saturday--she collapsed in bed and stayed there through about 4:00 on Sunday, only getting up once or twice for a few minutes at a time.

Great way to spend Spring Break, huh? In spite of being sick, Claire says she had a good time in New York.

So now I'm on vacation for a couple of weeks and have to make myself eat well and move more--the temptation is to just sit around and watch movies and eat junk, which is all I've done so far today. At least I'm out of bed, which is more than I can say for Claire!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Poor Claire! You are decidedly excused from exercise for this past weekend, given the circumstances. I hope you and she both come back to full strength quickly. Good luck with the break -- I can usually keep to an exercise schedule when we're on vacation at home, but I can't seem to eat correctly. I want to snack all the time.

Amy said...

Poor Claire!!! I am glad she still says she had fun. I wouldn't want this experience to ruin New York for her.