Thursday, March 25, 2010

Beginning training

I'm still not sure I want to do this, but I don't have time to dither about it, so I'm at least getting started on the program. Yesterday I ran (with walking breaks, as per Galloway's instructions) on the treadmill for 30 minutes, about 3 miles, as I posted in my comments. (I'm counting that as the Thursday run, and then I'll go for a 4-mile run this weekend sometime -- Sunday is more likely than Saturday, but Saturday would be ideal.) I also jogged up and down the block a couple of times later on, because I wanted to get my step count over 10,000 for the day. By the end of the day my left shoulder blade was mad at me. This morning I woke up and the right had taken over for the left, for some reason. I'm not sure if it's from the running or from the crunches I did after the treadmill run; I've been slacking off on those, so this was the first time I'd done 100 in a long while, and I wonder if I was using my shoulders too much and my abs not enough. It's better tonight, after some ibuprofen and step class, which forces me to use my arms and loosen things up a bit.

I did step class today entirely for my shoulder blades' sake. I was SO not enthused about it. And my legs were tired from the running -- for all that I think a tough elliptical workout is equivalent to a 5k, it doesn't have the same impact on my legs. The class had the effect I'd hoped for, but since the woman who normally stands in front of me was missing, I was forced to see myself in the mirror the whole class, so the overall effect was worse than usual! I realized that EVERY other woman in the room (most of them 20-something, but there was one who was 50-something) was flat-chested and skinny and wearing a fitted shirt, and there I was bouncing inside my loose T-shirt (it's even one I usually like and think flatters me -- ha!) and looking about 50 pounds overweight. Sigh. Here I'd been feeling good because I was under 150 and not sick today. Even if I lost 30 pounds I would still bounce and wouldn't look like these other people. It's very disheartening.

5 comments:

Amy said...

All those women are saving up for a boob job. They'll be sorry then! 8-)

Julie S said...

I think you just need a tighter t shirt. I bet those ladies were jealous of your boobs. Not too many women proclaim happiness with being flat chested.

I also know that feeling of frumpiness that comes from seeing other people all sleek and decked out in nice work out clothes. I bought some danskin t shirts from wal mart that are long enough to stay down during exercise, but have a more fitted shape through the middle so I don't feel like I am wearing a sack. I try really hard to only sleep in the sack like t shirts. And the sleeves are actually short sleeves--they don't hang to my elbows.

Emily said...

I have a couple of more fitted t-shirts, but they are too short to wear with my lower-rise capri-length exercise pants, which are my favorites. Do they make fitted workout shirts that are almost tunic length? Seeing my stomach in the mirror is worse than seeing myself bounce.

I bought one bra that is supposed to prevent bouncing, but it also prevents breathing. It barely fit when I was 135 -- now I can fasten only one or two of the gazillion hooks. If I have to choose between bouncing and breathing, I'm afraid I'll have to go with breathing.

Sarah said...

I agree--get some of the more fitted clothing so you don't feel like you're working out in a sack. Try Team Estrogen to see what they have--they have a good selection of all types of sports/fitness clothing for women, so they're bound to have something that would work. Tunics are popular these days, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had something like that. Or (don't laugh) get a shirt designed for tall women with long torsos--it might bunch up a bit, but it'll at least be long enough.

Julie S said...

And try the Danksin shirts from Wal Mart. That was where I found the ones I have that are longer.