Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Improvised exercise

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow are going to be the hardest days to get exercise this break. Brian leaves the house at 6:30, is home for about an hour in the late afternoon (when we eat), then gets home around 10:30 at night. I envy people with treadmills or bike trainers at home who can just hop on them to get some exercise. I had to be more creative yesterday.

I decided that I'd jump rope for ten minutes, then do 20 minutes of pilates, then another 10 minutes of jumping rope. Two minutes later I decided that just keeping in motion for ten minutes would be sufficient--that jump roping killed my SI joint! So I ran back and forth and did jumping jacks in the family room until ten minutes were up, then did a five minute walking cool down. At that point, Connor decided to go outside, so I followed him out and ended up doing another 10 minutes out there at a much harder pace--I'd do about a minute and a half of jumping rope (Connor loved that part and kept thrusting the jump rope back at me when I'd put it down), then another minute of stair climbing, then run around the house (which is like an obstacle course with all the junk to jump over and go around), then back to jumping rope. It felt like a really good workout! I followed with 40 minutes of my back strengthening/stretching exercises.

This morning I got up early to do yoga and pilates. Unfortunately, Connor got up even earlier, so he joined me for a few parts of the routine. He figures I'm fair game for pouncing on if I'm already lying on the floor.

I was 147.4 this morning--not bad. I think that's a pound down from last week? I was down to 147 even at the end of last week, but went up over the weekend when I ate too much. I mapped the walking we did in NY and it was about 5 and a half miles, which doesn't sound bad, except that was the ONLY walking I did that day, so it was probably about average. Bookending five miles of walking with eight hours of sitting on a bus means the five miles don't count for much.

No comments: