Monday, March 08, 2010

New resolve

I can't remember if I posted this or just thought about it, but one thing I noticed while reading through the blog from back when I was first successfully losing weight was that I was usually exercising twice a day back then--going to the gym or walking the dog and doing pilates (sometimes all three!). Of course, back then I wasn't so busy at work since I was new on the job and I didn't have nearly so many things going on in the evenings. But if I'm going to lose the weight I gained, I need to get back to that sort of schedule, so as of this morning I'm adding a morning session three days a week so I can do pilates then. I'm also going to try to do pilates both days on the weekends, so that'll give me five extra exercise sessions per week, even if it means getting up at 5:30 three days a week! My reward for getting up that early is that at least the exercise helps wake me up. And doing pilates in the morning means I don't need to allow time to change--I can just do it in my pajamas!

So, gorgeous day outside yesterday and what did I do? Nothing. Well, not nothing, but I never had a block of time when I could get out to run or ride my bike. It was church all morning, then feed the kids, then finish decorating the basketball cake. At that point we only had an hour and a half until we had to leave for the basketball party. If I had gone out then, I would have come back sweaty and needing a shower and there was no time for that. The party was fun (ate too much, of course) but it was dark when we got home and Connor was in full meltdown mode (he had been up since 3:30) so that was it for the day. At least I was able to get to bed early (Claire requested an early bedtime because of the stupid MSA tests starting today), which made the 5:30 wake up a lot easier.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That depressing study they did on very fat women and weight loss (fat like me fat, not like normal fat) said that the only women who LOST weight while dieting were the ones who did 90 plus minutes of exercise a day along with their reduced calories - and even then they only lost on average 20 pounds over the course of a year. Depressing like I said. Seriously, I don't have NEARLY your committments - but (now with my new 10:30pm bedtime) I only have 3 hours of non work time IF I leave work on time. Three hours - when it comes right down to it isn't that much time. I would have to spend a full HALF of that time just exercising to get in the 90 minutes. OTOH - I can't wait to have my yoga room done. I could see me doing morning yoga for 30 minutes or so. Now that spring is coming I could probably get in half an hour of walking during the day. That would then just leave 30 minutes remaining at night. THAT is do-able. If only I would do it.