Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Is everyone waiting for someone else to post?

Because I really don't have much to post about today. I went to the gym yesterday and did 40 minutes on the elliptical, and then when I got home I tried using my pushup pro handles to do pushups, which I haven't really done since December, when my hands started going numb so consistently that I couldn't get above 50 or so pushups. The idea was that by using the handles I could keep my wrists straight without killing my knuckles (they recommend knuckle pushups for people who have the numbness thing, but they're worse than the numbing). I still find it completely awkward. And this morning I woke up and my right shoulder blade was sore again. I injured it a month or so ago by overdoing arms one week (I did arms one day, intending to take the next day off, but then I wound up doing Walk Away the Pounds, which includes a lot of arms, and as if that wasn't enough, when I got to step class the next day she made it an arms-heavy class instead of doing the usual legwork. Argh!) and it now gets sore very readily. It hurt again last week just from doing crunches. I think I'm going to have to take a month or two off from using those muscles significantly, and I'll have to find other ways to do abs that don't risk me straining that muscle by the curl. (I can't even think how bad my form must have been.) And that means no pushups for a while, either.

Today it was so nice that Daniel volunteered to host the kids so I could run outside instead of going to the gym. I ran a lovely 5k route on campus in 30 minutes. I may not be making significant progress yet, but I am at least recovering some of my old fitness. I'm getting used to the walk/run deal and learning to like it. I think I'm starting to win Daniel over on the walk/run thing, too, and he's even contemplating training for the marathon with me!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Nope--just didn't get on today until now!

Sorry about your painful shoulder--that was one thing that originally stopped my regular pilates habit four years ago. I had a slight overuse injury that only bothered me while doing the pilates exercises, so I stopped doing them and never got back to them, which I'm regretting now--I think I wouldn't have injured my SI joint if I had been keeping up the core exercises.