Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A choose-your-own-weight day

When I got up this morning, I was 149.8. After my 25 minutes of pilates and stretching, I was 149.4 (which is kind of odd--it's not like pilates makes me sweat at all, and my heart rate doesn't go much above a resting heart rate since I'm lying down the whole time). Either way, I'm back into the 140's without the benefit of a stomach virus, so I'm happy.

I saved two puppies yesterday and one so far today. It was nice enough yesterday for an outside run at lunchtime, and it felt surprisingly good. I went out intending just to walk so I didn't hurt my back (did I mention I have orders to go back to PT for a tune up? My SI joint has slipped back out of joint. Not really badly, but enough so that the pain is low but constant and sharp when I'm lifting too much or standing for too long.) but running just feels better--I think it warms my muscles up better, which helps the pain, and it loosens the ligaments, which helps even more. Plus, it gets the workout over with faster. I walked several of the uphill sections, but ran a lot more than I thought I'd be able to. I ended up averaging 12 minute miles - more than two minutes slower per mile than I did in the triathlon, but not far off from my speed on this same route last year when I started running it. I just need to work back up to running the whole distance and I should be o.k. for the tri. Except for that pesky swimming thing.

No comments: