Monday, March 01, 2010

Home sick

I think I got some historically accurate food poisoning yesterday. Last night we went to Medieval Times for the dinner and show, and in the night Brian and I were both not feeling well. And while Brian just had a slightly upset stomach, I had a REALLY upset stomach and ended up staying home from work today. Everything settled down by mid-afternoon, but I'm still not feeling 100%. I'm blaming the potatoes--Claire didn't eat them and she was fine. The sad part was there was a little voice in my head saying "oh, good, now my Tuesday weight will be o.k.!" I haven't weighed myself since last week so I have no idea how I'm trending. I've noticed that since giving up sweets for Lent I'm snacking a lot less--the salty snacks aren't really tempting. I made Brian get some more snacky types of fruits and vegetables so that I can have cucumber slices and grapes when I would normally have Oreos or, well, Oreos. That's really the only sweet thing we normally keep around.

Brian is back to work today! Yay! It's only a three month gig, but at least it's something. We STILL don't know what his hours are going to be--he's in training for two weeks from 9 to 5:30, but we don't know yet if he's going to get a 7 a.m. shift (which would mean we wouldn't really need after school childcare) or a 9 a.m. shift (which would require after-care; Mom and Dad are taking care of it during training, thank goodness, but it bugs me that this company is being so disorganized about staffing--surely we aren't the only ones who have to make other arrangements around the work schedule?). But what this means is that both my exercise and diet are going to be affected--I'm going to have to skip lunch breaks since I'll be going in late every day (to get kids on the bus) and will have to resist the temptation to gorge when getting home from work--I've gotten used to Brian cooking dinner and having it ready right after work. Now he'll be going from work to school Monday - Wednesday, so I'll be the chef those nights. Although, now that I think about it, this may be a good thing--when we started this weight/health process a million years ago, he was gone every evening and I was really good about portion control when I was cooking, and doing the cooking kept me from snacking.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that in May when his classes are over and this job is over, he's able to find a decent job (well paid would be nice! This current job is anything but that) with normal hours, or even better--back to third shift, which just worked really well for us. I'd be comfortable with Claire being home alone for a little while after school most days, but that'll never happen with Connor and our child care choices are really limited. There's only one place we know of that will take him, and it's really depressing and I'm not even convinced it's entirely safe.

2 comments:

Julie S said...

What's Brian going to school for?

Sarah said...

He's been taking classes to get certified in network security. The program is just five classes, but he's thrown in a computer forensics class as well. He started last semester with just one class, is doing three this semester, and will finish up over the summer or fall (depending on when they offer the classes).