Monday, March 08, 2010

Back to reality

So we had a fabulous weekend in NYC. I love it up there. I love not driving anywhere, walking everywhere, and just seeing and hearing everything the city has going on. I am always amazed though at how thin New Yorkers are on a whole. I know they walk alot, but I also know they almost never cook their own meals. We have never, in all our trips to NYC to visit Martin an Bonnie, had a home cooked meal. This trip was no exception. We went to A Salt and Battery Saturday afternoon for a late lunch (it's an English chippy) and then had take out Chinese rather late Saturday night. The fish was amazing at the chippy--so fresh, and even though it was fried the batter was really light and peels off very nicely so I could drench it in vinegar. And the chips were actual potatoes. I love when that happens. The Chinese was ok; I didn't eat very much of it because it was really late (like 10 pm) when we got it, and that just seemed like a bad idea. Sunday we went to a French place for breakfast. I had a totally sexy croissant and a bowl of porraige that looked like puffed wheat cereal only solid. It was delicious. Then we cooked Let's Dish at home last night for dinner.

We walked a ton both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday we went to my favorite stores in midtown and walked the entire Highline again. Sunday we went to breakfast near Union Square and then to the NYC Fire Museum. Fun stuff.

Now I have to face reality, and it bores me. I wish Baltimore was as walkable as NYC. It makes me laugh that when I google the distance between places in NYC and see that it is only a mile, I don't even think twice about setting off, but here in Baltimore if I have to go two blocks I'm annoyed. Why is that? Does that even make sense? How to I envoke that mentality on a daily basis?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Well, Julie of Julie and Julia cooked her own meals. I think also in NY people are more inclined to market shop rather than GROCERY shop - which means more fresh stuff picked up and eaten the same day. I would probably eat more produce if I was buying fresh as I go.

Julie S said...

Julie of J & J lived in one of the boroughs though; Manhattan people don't cook that I can tell. And there isn't such a thing as a grocery store in Manhattan; it is all extremely expensive small corner markets. I think the not cooking has a lot to do with how small the apartments most people live in are--you just don't have a lot of space so you don't bother. Bonnie and Martin's apartment is technically 3 rooms plus a bathroom, but really is just a long rectangle with a door in the middle.