Friday, June 23, 2006

Just checking in

I haven't posted in a few days so I just wanted to drop in and say 'howdy'. Howdy. It's not that I'm not around -- I read every post right away -- I just am lazy about reporting on myself, which is not good. I should be reporting every morsel that passes my lips!

Exercise this week has been good. I didn't do anything on Tuesday (though the blood donation failed -- again -- even though I'd taken every possible kind of iron supplement in advance; I guess I'll have to overload on iron for a week in advance next time!), but on Wednesday I rode my bike (about 45 minutes on the trail, not very aggressive riding, especially at the outset, but it was 11 miles round trip, so it must have done some good). Then on Thursday Daniel and I went to the gym together and rode the bikes (me for 50 minutes, him for 60 -- dull, dull, dull, but it burns a lot of calories) and did the ab hanging-thing machine for about 50 reps, and then we did the pect-strengthening machine for a bunch of reps as well. We did that machine Monday, too, but I forgot to mention it here. I like it because I can't just use pectorals to move the weight; I get a pretty good all-over upper body workout from it. I did three sets of about 12, first at 40 pounds and then at 30 for the next two.

Today our exercise was a walk to Ben & Jerry's and back. Daniel pushed the stroller and I carried Mary more than half of the time, so it was a bit of a workout! I got sorbet, not ice cream, in the hopes that I wouldn't eat that many more calories than I burned on the walk (but I did get a waffle cone, and our coupon was only good on the two-scoop size or larger, so I wasn't exactly virtuous in what I ate).

My eating has been not good. Today I made a real effort for part of the day, but then the chocolate chips got the better of me. Fortunately the bag was almost empty, so I only ate 33 chocolate chips. I did manage to stay out of the cashews -- I let Mary talk me into getting them, and except for the balance of saturated fats to unsaturated fats the nutrition information is virtually identical to almonds. It turns out that the reason cashews are so unhealthy for me is not the nutrition issue; if I ate them the way I ate almonds, they'd be OK -- they're so bad for me because I can't leave them alone!!! I can't eat just a few -- I end up snarfing down handfuls. Sheesh. I'm going to force-feed the rest of the can to my kids.

Incidentally, couscous is available in whole wheat! Hodgson Mill (or something like that) makes some in rice-a-roni-like packages that cost less than the other brands of similar packages (though a whole lot more than the big bags and canisters of the plain stuff), and they were higher fiber. So I bought a couple of those but I haven't used them yet. Tomorrow we're grilling out again so I'll try it then. Daniel says he likes couscous, so maybe it was quinoa (sp?) he disliked (and I didn't like it, either -- it was just sort of gritty, but maybe the recipe that was the problem).

My weight has been hovering between 137 and 139 this week. I need to find something that makes me busy so I forget to snack.

Sorry this is such an unfocused post! That's what I get for posting so infrequently!

No comments: