Tuesday, June 27, 2006

159.7

WAY up from my lowest, but down from my 160 on Sunday and my 161 yesterday.

I bought Health magazine for mindless entertainment while we were at sea and there were actually a fair number of good articles in there. Some of it was stuff we already are doing, but a lot of it was just motivation and reinforcement. I liked it because there weren't any of those body builder-super model-chicks in their skimpy boy shorts plastered all through it. I went to their website and read up on their Girls on the Move running club. I started their 8 week walk to run program yesterday. I've never been much of a runner even though I played sports all through high school--I could do it when I had to and even made decent times, but I hated every second of it. Their focus is on actually enjoying it with the "side effect" of being able to do it. So my exercise yesterday was their week 1 suggestion: run for 4 minutes and walk for 2 minutes and repeat that 5 times for a total of 30. I switched it to walk for 2, then run for 4 since I wanted to warm up a little. I added 2 minutes of walking at the end too to cool down since I would have ended on the running portion. So 32 minutes, 20 were running and 12 were walking and that burned 284 calories according to my treadmill. I think it may actually be a bit higher because my heart rate was up more than usual when I just walk for 35 or 40 minutes. I was happy I accomplished it and felt pretty good while doing it. I also downloaded a few of their "Top 11 running songs" and I have to admit, it really helped having that faster beat to keep my feet moving.

Food yesterday: yogurt, nutragrain bar, 2 mini pb cups, 1 mini box of raisins, a salad in a spinach wrap, some chips & salsa, string cheese, and 2 hot dogs with no buns. My pyramid totaled me up just around 1500. So 1500-284 is 1216, which is decent for the day. The hot dogs were because we had nothing thawed for dinner and Joe just wanted a salad but I had already had that at lunch time. I ate them with mustard and pickle relish. I took something out for tonight so we'll be in much better shape with no scrounging for food.

Last night we started talking about our next trip. We're definitely headed to Europe for a cruise, most likely in the Mediterranean. We just have to figure out which one and when.

No comments: