Monday, April 24, 2006

Yucky

I don't like apples. I've never much liked apples and I particularly don't like them this time of year when they all seem to have been sitting around since October and the only ones available are really tart, which tastes terrible to me. And the sweet ones are mushy, which is gross. But I'm sitting here having my second apple of the day and hating every minute of it. Plus it makes my teeth hurt. It's a bad time of the year for fruit in general--there aren't any summer fruits available yet, but the winter ones have either gotten gross or you're just sick of them, or both. I've got some pears ripening at home--about the only fruit I can still stand. I can't gag down bananas more often than once a year. The good oranges seem to have disappeared from the grocery stores. The melons that are available are nasty. I even saw watermelons yesterday. I hate to think what country they were imported from--making sure to pick them when they were so unripe that they could make the journey, thus rendering them completely tasteless.

While I'm on the subject, I also hate tea. I don't see how people drink this stuff for pleasure. It tastes like boiled weeds. I manage herbal tea from time to time and it isn't bad, but green tea is nasty, no matter what you cut it with. But I'm drinking it anyway because it's supposed to be good for you--all those antioxidants and supposed to boost your metabolism and help you live forever. But I can't help but wonder if the stress of drinking this stuff that I hate cancels out any benefit from drinking it? Has there been any good research on the health benefits of coffee?

Dave Barry quote for the day: "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."

And I bet you I'm still 136 tomorrow.

1 comment:

Amy said...

OK Ms. Crank! Katie and I had some spectacular California Naval oranges two weeks ago. Really great ones - which was nice because we were supposed to have an orange a day for the 11 days of the one day diet.

Bananas also make me gag. Apples are only good as applesauce. We usually switch to canned fruit (in juice!) which I know isn't as good for you, but it is better than Easter candy.

I LIKE tea - the blacker and more bitter the better - kind of like coffee. Sugar ruins it - and milk, ugh! I can't stand herbal teas - they are WAAAAY to insipid. It doesn't matter how much you let them steep they still taste like weak boiled grass. Green tea is OK if you let it sit for about 3 hours. I also like my tea room temp. Hot tea or iced tea is just gross.