Friday, April 14, 2006

Two kids and a dog

I think that's the secret to 10,000 steps a day. I got my pedometer on Wednesday afternoon, put it on around 2:00. By bedtime I was at 5,148 steps. Yesterday I took 10,280 steps over the course of the day. That was for just a usual weekend day--I didn't actually exercise. But I realized as I was wearing this around that I pretty much never sit down for more than a few minutes when I'm at home--there's always an interruption or something that needs immediate attention, so even if I intend to sit down to do something, I have to hop up and run around for a while. I sent an email to Amy yesterday that took 150 steps. Of course I'm sure I do a lot less when I'm at work. To get my baseline average over three days, I'll do one weekend day, one workday without a trip to the gym, and one workday with a trip to the gym. If anone would like to increase their daily steps, tell them they can come take over my life for a day or so.

OTOH, I haven't been good about exercising--I ran on Tuesday and that's it for the week. I also haven't been eating very well. Actually I have--my meals have stayed small and healthy, but I've been snacking too much while at home (it's just THERE all the time!) and getting into Easter candy. Yesterday I decorated cupcakes to look like Easter baskets, but that involved jelly beans and Twizzlers, so I ate them as I worked. At least Easter is the last big candy season until Halloween so I won't continue to be tempted. Summer is just for cotton candy and that has almost nothing in the way of calories and no fat at all. My weight this week has stayed at 133.6.

Oh, I did lose a couple of ounces! I went to get my eyes examined for new glasses on Tuesday and the doctor decided that I didn't need glasses--my eyes reverted back to pretty good. I have 20/20 vision out of both eyes individually and 20/15 together. My right eye is not perfect (would need a .25 correction--the glasses I was wearing were 1.25) but isn't bad enough to really need glasses. After three days I'm not entirely sure I agree--I can see just fine but my focus is off. Kind of like being underwater. But that could just be because I've been so used to being overcorrected, so I'm going to give it a few weeks and see how I adjust.

No comments: