Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Polite scale

It very kindly gave me a 133.0 this morning, the same as last week, despite my weight having been over 134 most of the last week due to vast quantities of junk food consumption and despite a complete and total lack of official exercise since Easter. Daniel and I were supposed to go to the gym yesterday, but he had class notes to prepare for today (all his other lectures this semester were for material he has taught many times before, but today's topic was new, requiring a lot more work) so I used that as an excuse for us not to go to the gym, and then I didn't do anything at home, either. Nada.

The Easter candy is still not gone and that still constitutes the bulk of my diet. However, I am happy to report that I bought NO leftover Easter candy from the store -- I didn't even go to Target or CVS in the last week and, while I looked at Kroger's leftovers bin, I talked myself out of what they had (it was either still expensive gourmet candy, which was still tempting, or ordinary candy that isn't exciting enough to buy, though also still somewhat tempting. No jellybeans). When the Easter candy is gone, candy season is done, though Girl Scout cookie season seems to have dragged on extraordinarily long this year -- there are four or five boxes on my counter, and several more in the fridge. I can't figure out why I'm the only one eating them!!

I know what I should do is go back on the no-excuses exercise plan and go back to posting everything that I eat, though when I'm the only one doing that that seems mighty tedious. One of these days I'm going to make that an official challenge -- everybody has to post every day for a week, with food lists in detail. It's harder to eat another Samoa when I know I have to 'fess up to the group, and it forces me to keep count of just how many Samoas I've had. But I'm not going to make that official this week because I think we're more trying to focus on getting moving right now. The fact is that after seven months of this I still don't like exercise. I just don't like doing it. I don't like going to the gym (though I like having gone) and doing anything they have to offer, and I don't like going for walks no matter how lovely the weather is. I like sitting on my sofa eating candy or chips and watching Anne of Avonlea for the four hundredth time (that's what I did yesterday) or reading mindless literature. I don't think I'm ever going to like exercise. I don't think it's even a matter of finding the right exercise for me. I do have things that I like to do but there aren't any I would want to do all the time!

Amy, if you get desperate enough for activity then in a few years we all need to take a sabbatical and through-hike the Appalachian Trail (speaking of things I like to do, but would get tired of after a while!). They say it's impossible to eat as much as you burn. Then when we're all lean and muscular all we'll have to do is maintain! It's sort of the equivalent of starting Flylady when your house has been just cleaned for company, as opposed to starting from a horrible mess and decluttering a teeny bit at a time. That's us -- decluttering fat!

No comments: