Monday, June 28, 2010

"Unofficial" Weight Loss

But still I am very happy about it--I've dropped 5 lbs in the last 10 days with exercising. I made Peter get the trial gym membership and we went to two classes over the weekend. Both were at insane hours of the morning when I should have been sleeping in my cozy bed snuggled up with my beagle, but we went. I was SOO counting on him to bail at least one of the days. We did the Body Pump at 8 am Saturday, and the Spinning at 8:30 am Sunday. He is hurting from the spinning today; I apparently didn't work quite hard enough because I can only minimally feel it in my muscles, but my butt is KILLING me from the bike seat. You'd think all that fat I have would provide enough cushion...guess not...LOL. Quite the opposite--it smushed and now it is sore, but when I kept my muscles engaged it hurt less. I am certain you are all SO incredibly happy to know those details. :-) I also discovered that my cardiovascular system is mismatched to my fatness/fitness. I usually have a very low heart rate and very low blood pressure (both of which I consider a very lucky gift) and yesterday when I was biking I wasn't even out of breath at all, but when I tried to push harder my joints hurt, my feet hurt, etc. It was awful. I need to get my body stronger so that it can match the efficiency of my heart. I am going to wear Peter's heart rate monitor next time for biking; if I were to guess, I might have hit 120 bpm during Sunday's class. That is a little less than double my resting heart rate.

So we made some adjustments to our food based on that book I am reading. We ditched everything with high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient. Salad dressing is AWFUL. I am leery of the new ketchup we bought, but I will keep an open mind. We also bought grass fed beef and free range chicken. I feel like such a hippie/earthy crunchy/granola bar type. I'm still not 100% sure I believe EVERYTHING the book says, but it certainly has its points that are difficult to argue with. I'll try to do some counter research this week in the medical journals I have access to at work. I might also try to find some of the studies the book cites just to see if it is cherry picking statements or actually accurately summarizing the findings. We'll see.

I think I'm going to end up at the gym most every night this week again; I was on a Tuesday/Thursday schedule since that is when Peter has class, but now he wants me to go with him Monday and Wednesday but I don't want to give up my other classes. I really don't have much else worthwhile to do right now, so that works for me. I will just be psycho gym girl for summer.

No comments: