Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Swimming, swimming in the swimming pool

Ugh. Second swim of the week completed, and I should feel elated--for the first time ever I went 22 laps nonstop all freestyle. This is what I've been working towards since I first jumped (well, eased gradually) into the pool nearly two years ago. What's bugging me is that it turns out that freestyle is no faster and may even be slower for me than alternating breast stroke and freestyle--I finished the 22 laps in 27:24, but when I've timed myself on alternating freestyle/breaststroke, it's closer to 27 minutes even. Next week I'm going to try the same workout, only I'll stick with the alternating strokes nonstop for 22 laps and see how my time is. And going all freestyle wears my muscles out faster. Normally after swimming I feel pretty good but right now my arms are kind of like jello. I think alternating strokes, because it uses different muscles, is easier on my body.

OTOH, yay me! Not only nonstop freestyle for 22 laps, but I kept up my breathing pattern the whole way (breathing every three strokes). Last year when I'd try freestyle nonstop for any length of time I'd have to switch to breathing every second stroke. I'm also pleased because I took it easy the last two weeks and don't seem to have suffered any reduction in endurance as a result. So from now on when I have crazy busy weeks I'm going to make sure to get in at least two workouts no matter what so I don't lose all of my conditioning.

No comments: