Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ceramics

So, I started my ceramics class last night (to further my crazy old lady image). I did yoga in the morning and ceramics in the evening... 8-) It was a lot of fun. I took a semester in college. My professor wouldn't let us use the wheel for projects until after we took a pound of clay (about the size of your fist) and built it into a 6" tall vessel. This is considerably harder than it sounds. The hardest part of using a pottery wheel is centering the clay. Additionally, the vessel actually had to be taller than 6" because it would shrink as it dried - and so by the next day, when the teacher would see it, it would have lost anywhere from a quarter to half an inch in height. ANYWAY, I was one of only two students who accomplished this challenge MOSTLY because I was stubborn and wanted to prove I COULD (you keep your triathlons and marathons, THIS is the type of challenge I like!). (BTW - after I was approved to use the wheel, I never did again...) So, remembering how hard that was, I was kind of worried about this first class. Turns out, muscle memory last over 20 some years. I had virtually NO problem centering my clay. Now, I couldn't draw the clay to a six inch height yesterday, I did manage to produce three not hideous bowls. Yay me. I was probably about the second best student (I can't help it! I know it's not a competition, but arts and crafts are the one area where I CAN be the star student!) in the class. The first best was a ringer. She took a class on the wheel when she was in college - four or five years ago! Phift!

So, now I am allowed to go and use the studio whenever I want. And I have a bag of clay with my name on it! 8-) And a board with three not hideous bowls.

So what does this have to do with diet and exercise you ask? Nothing. BUT, but my inner thigh muscles and triceps were sore this morning. You have sit with the wheel totally in your crotch, which means you do have to keep your legs spread pretty wide the whole time. PLUS you need to keep your arms braced into the bend in your groin while at the same time pushing against the clay. It isn't strenuous at all while you are doing it - but after three hours in that pose you do start to feel it.

YAY! New hobby!!!

No comments: