Tuesday, June 29, 2010

145.8

Not nearly as impressive as Julie, but at least it's a bit of a loss since last week!

Yesterday's rain was perfectly timed--it came in just as I was debating going to the gym to run on the treadmill. 94 degrees seems to be my cutoff--below that and I'll run outside and above that I resort to the treadmill. I'm really looking forward to this heat wave breaking. It's just been miserable out there. But anyway, the rain came through yesterday and when it stopped around 3:00 I went out for a run in much cooler air. Cooler, but not drier--within a half a mile I was soaked all over even though the rain had stopped. The air was so humid that by the time I got back to the gym it looked like I had been running in the rain. The other thing I noticed out there was that even though it had rained pretty steadily for nearly two hours, the ground was still hard--no muddy squishy bits. It just soaked up the rain and looked for more. I finished the run with an average speed of 9:25 per mile, which seems to be the speed I've settled on after bringing it down from 10+ minute miles.

3 comments:

Julie S said...

I am only impressive because I have 3 tons to spare. We'll see how long it takes to find that equilibrium point where my body feels it can't spare the weight.

That is awesome that you brought your mile time down. I really wish I could run, but I think those days are behind me now. The pain just isn't worth it.

Julie S said...

And I just realized I never *confessed* my weight in my earlier post--199.0. So I am 53.2 pounds heavier (fatter) than you on this day.

So Today's Weight + 6 lbs Lost = Fattest Version of Julie EVER.

I must never let myself see that weight on the scale again!!!

Emily said...

I've noticed that about the ground here, too -- we had a good heavy rainstorm but the ground feels pretty normal, not a sloppy mess the way it usually is after a storm. And my lone hanging plant is still thirsty as ever.

Your speed improvement is amazing! I can manage that (when it's not too beastly hot) if I push, but I keep falling back to 10 minute miles if I'm not making a conscious effort.