Thursday, June 03, 2010

Body parts don't fail me now ...

Seems like that's my daily thought -- what might be achey today. Generally I have to say I feel pretty good while exercising and most of the kinks work themselves out after I'm warmed up.

Honestly I think the more I can mix cardio, weights and stretching the better off I am overall. I have definitely come to understand the importance of lifting -- building muscle strength separately from cardio makes so much difference in how I perform every day tasks as well as strenuous exercise.

Now speaking of exercise -- after working all last weekend I headed down to Shenandoah to camp with friends. On Monday we took off on a 5-mile hike -- we had a 7 and 4 year old -- so that's a good aim for us.

We were moving along at a nice pace and getting close our destination when *BOOM* thunder and driving rain. The trees added some protecting but we were drenched. I didn't mind getting wet -- it was warm out. But we hoofed it back uphill about two miles pretty much without stopping as the rain poured down and the thunder clapped. Of course, two miles down the road, no rain. So that was a good test and I felt really good.

I used to hike a lot more but have found my weekends just fill up fast -- and I don't have kids. It's nice to be outdoors and exercise and I'm going to try at least once a weekend to get somewhere and hike.

On Wednesday I decided to test out my new running shoes -- so I did a short run then a bunch of walking and running again. Not my usual routine -- in the past I've built up to the running by walking -- two 20-minute walks a day -- gradually up to 45 minutes. I never had trouble doing those walks but I think it helped me mentally to graduate my performance.

Now I'm mostly testing out what my knees can handle. I feel good today and am planning another run soon -- the trails near my house are mostly shaded so it's not too bad heatwise.

As far as good goes -- it's not too bad -- I ate a couple of bad things over the weekend but I had a nice salad yesterday with lettuce that's growing in a pot on my deck and did a smoothie this morning with yogurt, blueberries, bananas and strawberries. Plus I tossed in some flax seed, cinnamon and vanilla. Yum.

But with fresh veggies starting to hit I'm trying to focus on getting into a good eating routine. I can operate pretty well when I put myself on a schedule.

So onward and upward.

2 comments:

Amy said...

YAY! Actually, Vickie, I have to tell you that you are one of the sticks I usually use to beat myself up with. I totally picture you every weekend biking (or hiking, or canoeing) to a farmer's market to stock up on organic veggies for the week. I feel so reassured to see your posts motivating yourself (and me!) to do more/better. Granted - you are still LIGHT years ahead of me, but I am glad to know that even the best of us can flag now and then. 8-)

Vicki said...

Ha, ha Amy! I used to be an exercise fiend but not so much anymore. I'm thinking about keeping up with your overachieving sisters -- Sarah and Amy. Of course Sarah just plain pisses me off. hahahaha

It has been a battle as of late but I'm trying to get into a good routine but it's tough sometimes. I keep hoping to get to a point where it'll all be perfectly natural and that hasn't happened in this surge. Mainly because my work schedule is haywire.

Keep up the good work! You can do it!