Monday, June 28, 2010

First brick

I had a *great* week with exercise last week--I got in two days of running and two days of swimming during the week, one bike ride at lunch (really slow--I was checking out some of the Columbia walking/biking paths which turn out to be really crappy, so I'll stick with roads from now on), and then a bike/run brick on Saturday. This was the first brick I've done this year--I need to start doing them every other week or so between now and the race. It's odd how you need to train your body to make that transition from biking to running. It took me more than a mile on the run to start to feel normal again. I did Emily's trick of running five minutes and walking one, which worked great until I hit the hills. Then I went to the plan called "run when you can, walk when you have to." At about the halfway point I caught up to two other women who were running slightly slower than I was but who were at least running the whole way. I kept pace with them (the chain grease tattoo on one woman's leg let me know they had also just done the bike) until the end, which overall kept me moving more than I probably would have on my own. My time wasn't great--1:15 for the bike and 35:43 for the run, but both of those were faster than my times when I was first doing this route last year, so that's some improvement.

Last week was also my first 40+ mile week in a while--43.58 miles to be precise, of which 27.7 miles were biking, 1.94 swimming, and the rest running.

As Amy mentioned, I've been dealing with on and off sickness the past five days or so. It's not horrible illness--more like morning sickness where I feel really sick and like I couldn't possibly eat anything for a while, and then I feel fine for a while, and sometimes eating makes me feel better and sometimes it makes me feel worse. I'm currently blaming the heat, but I've also blamed Indian food, intense workouts, and hormones. Could really be any of these. I'm currently in a "feeling fine" part of the cycle, but this morning felt really sick.

No comments: