Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Not as bad as expected

I was 146.6 today--up a pound from last week. But I haven't been weighing myself all week and I've been eating WAY too much and didn't get any exercise over the weekend at all, so I was expecting to have gained more than I did, so I was happy to see that I had only gained a pound. Perverse. I know.

Last year at this time I was in Ireland and beginning my three weeks of inactivity that set me back in my triathlon training. While only working out four times last week seems bad (and no time at all on the bike for several weeks!) it's better than nothing at all, and is twice what I did the previous two weeks, so if I can increase my activity this week I'm doing o.k. My running times have been consistently faster than usual, too. All those sprint workouts apparently did the trick--I was averaging 10 to 10:20 per mile a month ago, and now I'm averaging 9:20 to 9:40 per mile. Yesterday I missed my lunchtime run (sitting at my desk waiting for a phone call that didn't come until 5:00), so I vowed to go out in the evening, which of course I didn't do, so I got up early and ran this morning. If I could get myself up early every day it would be ideal--it's so much cooler at 6 a.m. and less traffic (so fewer pauses at intersections) and best of all, you're done for the day before you've had your coffee (except today when I was making up for yesterday--I still have to go to the pool today!). Connor, miraculously, slept through the night both last night and the night before, which also makes morning workouts easier. We've gone through a four week period where he was only sleeping through the night once a week. I'm hoping the last two nights are an indication that he's over that phase. Sleep deprivation sucks.

No comments: