Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Disappointing doughnuts

Two weeks or so ago I had a doughnut at church -- it was good but I was tasting it all day, which wasn't good at all, especially since I had a long run that day. Today there were doughnuts for breakfast (just plain glazed Krispy Kreme in a box, not fresh) and not only did it have no flavor, but about three minutes after I ate it my stomach growled -- so I ingested 200 completely empty calories. Depressing. I had a bowl of cereal afterwards just so I could feel like I'd had some food. No more doughnuts for me!

I don't have a weight for this week because I'm not at home. I did run 12 miles yesterday -- 12.08 in the final assessment on mapmyrun, at a 10:34 pace. The previous time out I ran 9:28 per mile over 3.3 miles (in 95-degree heat), and for longer runs I'm supposed to slow it down by a minute per mile, and, remarkably, I *did*! I'm amazed that I have that sense of pacing -- I've never been consistent in my life before. Afterwards my arches were in really bad shape, though, and today my right leg is sore the way it has been most of the year, but not over the past two weeks since I got my new shoes. I really like the way the gel feels when I'm running fast over short distances -- it greatly decreases the pounding on my legs -- but I fear that it's not good for my arches, and I also fear that there's nothing to be done about cutting back on the pounding when I'm covering distances of 12 miles or more. I think have insoles at home I can use to see if I can get more arch support while still enjoying the gel effect, but if they don't work I'm afraid I'll have to change shoes again -- and I only have about 25-30 miles on these.

Even without weighing myself, though, I'm certain my weight hasn't declined over the past week because I haven't been able to eat well. They STILL only have white bread here -- white burger buns, "Honey Wheat" bread with less than 1 g of fiber per serving according to the package, white rice, etc. Ugh. I feel so gross when I eat this way. And lots of fatty meats and overcooked and/or starchy vegetables and overdressed salads. How do people live this way? They do have fresh fruit around, at least, and I think that's where they get their fiber.

On the other hand, I ate TWO Fiber One cereal bars (very, very yummy) on the drive down here, which flushed my system out the next day, and then with a low-fiber diet over the next two days I had no intestinal grief on my long run (which is good because I don't know where I would have found a bathroom). So now I have an idea how to eat before long runs -- very high-fiber in advance, then low-fiber/high-carb in the short run. I'll try this again over the next few runs and see how I feel.

Daniel points out that men don't have the intestinal troubles with distance running that women have. I think it's the whole baby thing -- my body sees that it's under duress and assumes it must be going into labor (because why else would I be feeling so bad for so long?) and clears everything out to make room they way it's supposed to. However, it also kicks into high-stamina mode, which gives women the edge over men for the really long distances!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Daniel is wrong: http://www.offbeatearth.com/shit-happens/

Vicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki said...

Emily,

Have you gone to a good running/triathlon store to get fitted for shoes? If not, you should. Running Warehouse (runningwarehouse.com) has great videos on shoe fittings and you can send them a video so they can evaluate you. But if you're having trouble it could be your shoes don't match your pronation.

If you're going to be running those kinds of distances you should really make sure your shoes are right.