Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Oooh, I'm going to be sore!

I'm such an idiot. When I got to the gym today, all of the treadmills were in use, so I got on an elliptical machine, but only did 25 minutes because I hate those machines. So for the remaining time, I decided to use the weight machines, which I *never* do--all of my strength training is done at home with pilates and free weights, and that's all about toning, not building muscle. So I hopped on the lateral pull-down machine, set the weights up one notch (because the person who had been using it before me was a kinda floppy middle aged woman going through a routine with a printed out checklist, so I figured she was new to this) and got going. After about 8 reps, I realized that this was a higher weight than was really comfortable for me, but I finished up 12 reps, switched to a rowing thingummy, did another 12 reps (same weight) then the whole 12 of each over again--I didn't want to move the weight down because I didn't want to admit my mistake! So then I moved to free weights, which I'm more confident with, but wouldn't you know that in the free weight area the lowest free weight they had was 12 pounds? The lower ones may have been around (I use five and three pounds at home for bicep and tricep exercises) but were not where they belonged. So I did two different tricep exercises, hammer curls, and bicep curls all with 12 pound weights. There were all these really toned college guys there and I didn't want to look stupid and weak!

One guy tried to pick me up--he came up and said "I know you; what school do you go to?" Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) he was one of the guys with the afternoon fitness program for adults with developmental disabilities. After establishing that I don't go to school, he started insisting that he knows my sister. What school does she go to? This is why Brian and I have a problem with social skills training that involves rote memory of conversational lines--the "what school do you go to?" was probably fine when this guy learned his conversational speech back in middle school, but it doesn't always translate well to real-life situations.

Sorry, that's completely off topic! So I got to the gym today (yay me!) and haven't eaten one bit of junk yet today (yay me!) but the afternoon is still young, and I know there are cookies and milk at home. Last night we had Mari and Keith and kids and Amy over for dinner and we actually didn't do too bad--grilled chicken (with butter, but still, not horrible), saffron rice, grilled zucchini, steamed broccoli, and Amy brought the absolute best fruit tart for dessert. Probably too much food, but at least none of it truly bad for us.

Maybe I'll reward myself for good behavior tonight by only allowing myself to read my new library book if I stay out of the junk food. If I eat junk, I have to go empty out the kiddie pool (currently full of rainwater and probably 10,000,000 mosquito eggs).

No comments: