Thursday, January 31, 2008

Gee Ma I don't wanna come home!

Howdy from Banjo Camp! BOY! Am I having a great time! This is SO my type of place and my kind of people!!! Mom and Dad you should IMMEDIATELY look up their website and pick a week where you can both come and take classes!! It is RIGHT up your ally!!!!!!! Last night I watched the local Morris Dancers (who also do garland dancing and Rapper Sword dancing - and I am sure other forms) practice in the community hall downstairs. Every morning we start with coffee and folk songs (and story telling) followed by a FABULOUS breakfast. Then you have your morning session of class (I wish I could be doing them ALL) followed by another fabulous meal for lunch. After a short break you go back to your afternoon session of class followed then by an optional afternoon activity (I skipped the painting demo today, but did see the glass bead one yesterday and the took the field trip to the local music instrument makers shop on Tuesday). Then you eat yet ANOTHER fabulous meal for supper - which is followed by some sort of musical activity in the evening (hence the dancing last night). I have done a lot of eating and very little exercise. My butt is sore from sitting in fact. I am learning a lot about the banjo - mainly that EVERYONE in the class is as bad as me and the teacher (JD) assures us that we are actually pretty advanced for beginners (mainly we can keep together and keep pace with him) so that is reassuring. I gotta say that if I took a class like this about once every few months, maybe after a decade or so I could learn to play! 8-) I am having fun though - and I am somewhat motivated to continue working at it. I don't know if additional lessons are necessary - other than to keep me honest about practicing.

Anyway - Katie and I are planning on coming back in the summer - but I really hope I can make this an annual thing going forward. TOTALLY worth it!!!! www.folkschool.org

1 comment:

Mary said...

Great to hear from you, Amy. It sounds like you are having a great time!