Monday, January 07, 2008

Weekend Weight

I can't remember if I weighed myself on Saturday. I feel like I didn't - but at the same time I have a weight in my mind for that day. Maybe it was last Saturday that I forgot. Either way - my weight (after dropping to 226-ish) has been climbing back up. I was 227.2 Friday (and Saturday?) and 228 even yesterday and 228.2 today. Sigh. I haven't been exercising, and my eating - has been intuitive. Which means I haven't had enough fruits or vegetables because they haven't been around in my house. I have stopped to ask myself if a) am I hungry and b) what is it I am wanting to eat each time I found myself in the kitchen looking for food. I discovered in many cases I was thirsty, and was wanting fruit juice or tea. I drank a lot of tea (having no fruit juice on hand) which leads me to believe I was probably wanting vitamin C or something.

I went to see Eric on Sunday and (intuitively) ate a doughnut while I was there. THERE is someone whose weight is a concern. I don't know how - or if - to approach him about it - but considering that his birth father (and mother for that matter) died very young due to health complications I feel like Eric should do something about his weight. I also wonder how much of his obesity is not related to over eating. I don't know how much he does eat when he eats since I am not usually THERE for that. He didn't eat at all while I was there (from 1:45 to 3pm, granted - not a meal time) but he had food to hand, and didn't eat it. He did mention that he is a Mountain Dew fanatic (and soda is one of the WORST things that we can consume!) but he said that he didn't drink it much anymore.

I have been having reflux horribly the past several days. I think it must be the cookies I have been eating, but I wouldn't swear to anything. It has been waking me up in the middle of the night - and is much ickier than it has been in the past. Tums seem to be doing the trick for the most part, but I really think it is time for me to actively start removing gluten from my diet again. Sigh.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Eric looked terrible the last time I saw him but didn't look quite as heavy when I saw him on Friday, so I hazarded the "have you lost weight" question. He is actively participating in Weight Watchers, counting up his points and everything -- he showed me his schedule and told me how many points he gets now and in the future. He says he expects it to take him more than a year to reach his goal weight, but he IS doing something about it. I think Mom told me Donna is also doing WW so they're in this together, which makes their chances for success, at least in the short term, much better.

Amy said...

That is good to know. I thought he looked better on Christmas too, but when I saw him on Sunday he was wearing grey sweat pants and sweatshirt and looked like the Michellan man - except short. He is getting shorter.

Emily said...

I have to agree on that -- the last several times I've seen him I was struck by how short he is. But I was blaming it on the weight -- either the larger girth makes him shorter by contrast, or the weight is just plain pulling him down!