Tuesday, January 08, 2008

136.5!!

I don't get that at all -- I was 139 two days ago.  I do know that the first few days of dieting after a break see abrupt results, but I still have to think this is mostly water loss, and it'll catch up to me soon.  I was really expecting 137.5 at  best today.

Metabolism changes are so funny.  In the days around and just after Christmas my calorie intake was about double or triple my usual goal of 1200 -- which is realistically 1200 on weekdays and more like 1400 or 1500 on weekends, weekends being liberally defined to cover Friday, Saturday, Sunday, any day I anticipate the weekend, or any day I overshoot the weekend.  So I maybe average 1300-1400 a day.  For five days my weight shot up at a rate of a pound a day -- entirely possible with a calorie intake of 3500+ some days, though I was still exercising a bit.  But at Mom and Dad's my eating was mostly no better and my exercise was mostly lower, but my weight didn't change over that week.  Then I get back and diet and my weight plummets, so instead of the 145 I was fearing at this point I'm not actually that far from my goal of 135.  So the extra calories caught up to me VERY quickly, but then my metabolism adjusted, so that after a second week of overeating I'm still sort of burning at the too-much-food rate even though I'm eating too little food now, and I see sudden drops.  I will no doubt plateau within a week, so by next week this will all be forgotten and I'll be a pill about how I can't get my weight to budge.  Mood changes are as weird as metabolism changes.

No comments: