Monday, January 14, 2008

No iPod, no socks

I was pretty badly behaved last week. I started eating healthier foods for meals (i.e. not just frozen pizza and ravioli for dinner) but I'm still snacking way too much in the evenings---I keep finding myself prowling around looking for things to munch on from 7:00 to 11:00. It's pretty bad. And I only got to the gym twice. I had every intention of going on Friday as well, but a group from work decided to go out to lunch at the worst place for a diet on the planet--Cheeburger, Cheeburger. The woman who instigated this is getting treated for thyroid cancer and when she's going through treatments, she has to go on a no-iodine diet, so in advance of her treatment she wanted to go out and eat all of the foods she's not allowed to eat (basically anything yummy--during her last round of treatment she lost 13 pounds in three weeks). And you can't say no to an offer like that, right? So I had the smallest cheeseburger on the menu, and still my lunch was over 700 calories!

Anyway, today I absolutely was NOT going to skip the gym. Then when I got to work I discovered I had left my iPod at home. Not deterred, I went to the library and got out a mindless book to read while on the treadmill. Of course it's not possible to run and read, so I decided to walk for 45 minutes instead of running for 30. OK. Then I got to the gym and discovered I had also left my socks at home! Really not my day. But I am wearing pants today, so I have on trouser socks, so I decided to make them work. They are the opposite of cushy and wicking, but at least they are thin so they aren't blister-inducing. And it turns out that I'd really rather run than walk--even without a book, running is more interesting (or doesn't feel as awful to me). So I still did 45 minutes, but did it half walking and half running. And wouldn't you know while I was at my top running speed and just getting ready to slow back down, a guy I know came up and started chatting? He's the father of one of the Brownie's in Claire's troop. So of course I had to keep running so I wouldn't look like a wimp. I think I agreed to go running on a 3.2 mile loop outside with him in the spring. This can't be good.

My weight this morning was 143.4 (!!!). I'm hoping that's one of those weekend aberrations. Really hoping for that. If not, it's back to celery and cottage cheese for me!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Pay attention to your salt intake at night. I have noticed that if I eat pistachio nuts at night my weight is ALWAYS higher in the morning. Of course, this is a trick just if you are looking not at real weight loss, but variations within your normal range. If you want to show up lower on your normal range, don't eat salty foods at night. 8-)

BUT - if you are mindlessly grazing at night, try eating more calorie dense meals earlier in the day. It seems odd to me, especially since my entire life the majority of my calorie intake has BEEN at night - but my mindless eating and munchie inclinations are MUCH less, not when I have eaten a good dinner - but when I have eaten a good lunch or breakfast. Try putting the bulk of your calories at lunch time rather than dinner time. I have really noticed a difference.

Sarah said...

Calorie dense meals like a cheeseburger and fries? ;-) I still went home and mindlessly snacked (and had a taco for dinner too!). I think for me it's tiredness and boredom--when I get enough sleep, I don't snack nearly so much, but when I'm tired and don't have any choice but to stay awake, I eat and eat.

I'll keep that in mind about the salty foods. I rarely eat salty stuff, but last night before bed Brian and I were both munching pistachios! Sure, that's what I'll go with (until tomorrow morning when I'll have to come up with another excuse!).