Tuesday, January 22, 2008

132.5 (but it's not real)

I have strep throat so I've barely eaten for two days.  Today I weighed in at 133.5, 132.0, and finally 132.5, so I picked the one in the middle, which is consistent with what I saw (fully clothed, shoes and all) at the doctors' office yesterday.  I've had absolutely no appetite, though I did try to eat some dinner last night (but I only managed a few bites).  Today I think I might be hungry but I'm not sure.  I'm still wiped out (I've slept more than I've been awake since Sunday) and woozy.  I hate being sick.  I feel like such a wimp.  And I'm singing the praises of antibiotics (not to mention ibuprofen, benadryl, and cough drops) today -- I'm starting to recover, but without the amoxycillin yesterday would have been just the beginning.  This has hit me so much harder than strep used to -- after yesterday I can see how this illness could kill somebody.  Ugh.

I haven't posted but I've been vaguely following the blog -- Amy, your analysis of RMR and calories was about the clearest, most logical post ever and I think you'd be wise to follow the numbers you get from it.  I haven't run my own numbers but based on relative weights it makes sense that 1200-1400 would be the point at which I would lose weight now.  And when I first started weight loss, in the 170s, I didn't need to watch calories so closely because I was nursing and active, so switching to healthy foods and eating to appetite automatically brought my calories down to what I needed to be eating then (probably 1700 to 2000 or so?), and it wasn't until I was much lower that I needed to be careful about how much I ate.  I think most diets that use 1200 or so as the bottom line are really looking at people who just need to lose a few pounds (or for whom the 130s or 140s is a very high weight -- somebody much shorter than us, I suppose!).  So many dieting articles give useless advice like "stop drinking soft drinks" -- but I guess that's the first step toward getting seriously overweight people's appetites in line with the number of calories they need, when they're eating non-filling, high-calorie food.  Maybe that would get them eating just above their RMR level.  However, that has long since ceased to be a problem for anyone on this board!

No comments: