Monday, October 15, 2007

Putting Restraint in my toolbox

I really liked that article. I remember having that feeling exactly, two years ago -- for some reason, for a few months, it was easy to resist, and the longer I did it, the easier it got, because it was so fun to see the results. So I'm trying to recapture that. I am counting calories today and trying to be upbeat -- should we try to force ourselves to be more positive for a while (e.g., I have to say three good things before I can make a criticism about myself) or just try to keep it generally more upbeat?

I have had 710 calories so far today (Raisin Bran Crunch, milk, OJ, almonds, ham sandwich), and I'm about a half hour from dinner, where I plan to collect the other 490 to get me to 1200. I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the bike (the icky bike, at level 6, which is like level 9 on the other bike, but it felt too easy so I bumped it to level 7 for the last ten minutes, and that got hard in a hurry!) and ran a mile. I was very under-enthused about the pace Daniel and I were setting -- we were trying to do 55 second laps to finish in under 8:30 and I just didn't feel like I could maintain that -- but I kept going at my slightly more sluggish pace, managed to push it for the last lap, and still finished in 8:24. So that's seven seconds better than my last mile there, and this was AFTER 30 minutes on the bike! Then I did 100 VKRs, plus two sets on each of the shoulder and tricep machines. Not a bad workout. I'm also booked to go to the gym tomorrow and Thursday, and then the campout is this weekend (I had the date wrong -- they changed it on me).

1 comment:

Amy said...

I remember when I used to use the rowing machine at the Y in Littlestown I would follow that up with 45 minutes on the track. I ALWAYS felt like my legs were moving too slowly - but I attributed it to the fact that for 2 minutes straight my legs were moving swiftly on the rowing machine. It is just different muscles and different movements - it just FEELS sluggish.