Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Caloric Obsession (or, Fun with NutritionData)

Daniel and I have been going nuts with Nutrition Data this week. We figured out how to keep track of calories for the day and how to add in foods that aren't on the list and how to make recipes out of our foods, so last night I was able to put in the Garlic Smashed Potatoes recipe that I used with dinner, and figure out that I could eat a half "serving" and still stay within my calorie limits for the day. Once again I got through the day at almost exactly 1200 calories -- normally when I say I'm aiming for 1200 I end up overshooting, but it's fun to get to the number I want and have the willpower to stay there.

This is self-improvement week all around for me, though I know that's not usually the best way to go about it -- it's easier to focus on one goal at a time. But last week after I had a melt-down and screamed at the kids for the gazillionth time over something completely trivial I went hunting online for information about homeschooling and losing one's temper (I'm told it's VERY common), and I found a book called "Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit." I'm a bit skeptical about the book -- the site also had lots about preparing your girls to be good homemakers and your boys to be good breadwinners, and it was full of God-talk of the sort that I'd be embarrassed to use in public. But so long as the book doesn't turn out to be anti-Catholic, I'm more than willing to use religious inspiration to keep from throttling my generally sweet and bright children over whether they know their arithmetic facts. In fact, I suspect that religious inspiration is going to be necessary here. Even so, I wouldn't have ordered the book except that I read a review of it on another site that seemed to describe me exactly -- screeching "Why won't you just answer??? WHAT IS NINE TIMES FOUR????" at a completely disinterested child. So I hope it will be useful. It just arrived today and it has a lot of Bible verses in it. Hmm.

No comments: